*Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil’s “Being Mary Jane,” starring Gabrielle Union as a single career woman, will open the 16th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival on Sept. 20 in New York ahead of its 2013 bow on BET.
Formerly titled “Single Black Female,” the show stars Union as Mary Jane Paul, a successful TV news anchor who is still single and whose large extended family does not share her career ambitions. Omari Hardwick plays Union’s love interest.
The cast also includes Lisa Vidal, Margaret Avery, Richard Brooks, B.J. Britt, Raven Goodwin, Aaron D. Spears, Richard Roundtree, Robin Lee, Latarsha Rose, Tika Sumpter and Stephen Bishop.
As previously reported, “Being Mary Jane” will serve as a backdoor pilot for what will be BET’s first original drama. It is the Akils’ second series for BET after half-hour comedy “The Game,” which broke ratings records at the network.
The Akils, who also produced Whitney Houston’s final film “Sparkle” (Mara Brock Akil wrote the script and Salim Akil directed), have a wide-ranging production deal with BET.
Urbanworld takes place September 19-23 at AMC 34th Street in Manhattan. Schedule and ticket information can be found at www.urbanworld.org.
- Problem? Teen Vogue Uses Fair Models for African Braids Feature
- Bobby Seale, Black Panther Professor, Gives History Lesson to D'Angelo (Watch)
- Nick Gordon's Defense in Bobbi Kristina Case: Drugs Responsible
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here