*Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil’s “Being Mary Jane,” starring Gabrielle Union as a single career woman, will open the 16th Annual Urbanworld Film Festival on Sept. 20 in New York ahead of its 2013 bow on BET.
Formerly titled “Single Black Female,” the show stars Union as Mary Jane Paul, a successful TV news anchor who is still single and whose large extended family does not share her career ambitions. Omari Hardwick plays Union’s love interest.
The cast also includes Lisa Vidal, Margaret Avery, Richard Brooks, B.J. Britt, Raven Goodwin, Aaron D. Spears, Richard Roundtree, Robin Lee, Latarsha Rose, Tika Sumpter and Stephen Bishop.
As previously reported, “Being Mary Jane” will serve as a backdoor pilot for what will be BET’s first original drama. It is the Akils’ second series for BET after half-hour comedy “The Game,” which broke ratings records at the network.
The Akils, who also produced Whitney Houston’s final film “Sparkle” (Mara Brock Akil wrote the script and Salim Akil directed), have a wide-ranging production deal with BET.
Urbanworld takes place September 19-23 at AMC 34th Street in Manhattan. Schedule and ticket information can be found at www.urbanworld.org.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Donald Trump Is the Master of the Blame Game
- THE (12-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Trump Stands By Claim that ‘Most’ Black Pastors Endorse Him
- Watch Bryshere 'Yazz' Gray Freestyle on 'The Talk'
- Travel Much? Don't Do These 12 'Offensive' American Things (Watch)
- Ringside Update/ Cotto vs Canelo: A Clash Of The Latin Titans
- Call for Contestants! 'Heel & Toe' Reality Show
- Compton Mayor Aja Brown and Rapper YG Host Community Thanksgiving Dinner [VIDEO]
- DMX Makes Sitcom Debut as Love Expert on ‘Fresh Off The Boat’ (WATCH)
- The Orlando Magic Give Thanks This Holiday
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here