Wednesday night it was former President Bill Clinton’s turn and like Mrs. Obama, Mr. Clinton also hit one outta da park!
Interestingly, just 4 years ago, Clinton, supporting his wife Hillary, in her bid to win the party’s nomination for president, was a strong foe of President Obama.
But in his speech before the DNC, it was obvious that he’s one of the President’s best surrogates, especially when it comes to bringing in independents.
In a speech that was repeatedly interrupted by standing ovations and often veered from the prepared remarks on his Teleprompter, Clinton took on nearly every criticism that Republicans leveled at Obama last week at their party convention in Tampa. Clinton’s wide-ranging speech defended several aspects of Obama’s record, including his health care law, the controversial Recovery Act, the restructuring of cash-strapped American auto companies and even his choice of Joe Biden as vice president.
“We believe ‘we’re all in this together’ is a far better philosophy than ‘you’re on your own,'” Clinton said in a speech that went on for nearly an hour. “I want to nominate a man who’s cool on the outside but burns for America on the inside.”
Clinton even took on the question that Republicans have used in their convention counter-programming this week, arguing that the country is better off than it was when Obama first took office.
“Are we better off than we were when he took office? Listen to this, listen to this,” he said, clearly enjoying an audience hanging on his every word. “When President Obama took office, the economy was in a free fall, we were losing 750,000 jobs a month. Are we doing better than that today? The answer is yes.”
Speaking from experience, Clinton defended Obama from critics who blame him for overseeing what many have felt is a painstakingly slow recovery from the 2008 recession.
“No president, not me or any of my predecessors, could have repaired all the damage in just four years,” he said, going on to suggest that Obama’s work was only half finished. “Conditions are improving, and if you’ll renew the president’s contract you will feel it,” he said. “You will feel it.”
Read/learn more at Yahoo News.
Watch Bill Clinton’s full speech below:
- Celebs You Wish You Could Party with on Labor Day Weekend (PHOTOS)
- Gilbert Arenas' Assistant Convicted For Robbing Him of $2.1 Million
- Bobbi Kristina’s Family Upset Over Nick Gordon Visiting Gravesite: Report
- '1st Annual MADCatfish Blues Festival' Jumps Off Labor Day Weekend, at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, CA.
- White Woman Throws Shoes at Talib Kweli for Talking #BlackLivesMatter
- ESPN’s Israel Gutierrez Comes Out Publicly: 'I'm Gay'
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Donald Trump's Campaign Will Ultimately Fail (Watch)
- Eazy E’s Daughter Says Suge Knight Did NOT Kill her Dad
- TNT Exclusive: Jazmin Truesdale Gives Black Comic Fans Heroes That Resemble Themselves (Watch)
- Aretha Franklin Sues to Block ‘Amazing Grace’ Screening at Telluride
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here