*A new lawsuit has emerged from the dueling movie projects based on the life of Sammy Davis Jr.
Producer Rick Appling has sued Byron Allen Productions for $35 million claiming he, not Allen, owns the life rights to the legendary entertainer.
As previously reported, Allen announced his intention to make a film with the blessing of the Davis estate but Applins claims he previously bought the rights and the Allen project is interfering with his effort to make a movie.
The complaint (read here in its entirety) states that in Feb. 2011, Appling entered into an exclusive three-year agreement with Tracey Davis for the life story rights to her father, Sammy Davis Jr. Allen, in Dec. 2011, issued a press release stating that he had entered into an agreement with Tracey Davis for the life story rights to her father. Between February and December, Appling claims that he had begun preparations to move forward with his Sammy Davis Jr. project.
Appling and Allen spoke to each other on the phone, the complaint states. Appling says that Allen said he was already aware of Appling’s existing agreement with Tracey Davis, but disregarded it. Appling further states that he learned that Tracey Davis initially rejected Allen’s offer, because she had already entered into an agreement with Appling, but somehow convinced her to reconsider her agreement with Appling and sign with Allen’s company instead.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Paul McCartney Covers ‘Let’s Go Crazy’ During Minneapolis Concert (Watch)
- Beyonce Adds Dates to North American Leg of Formation Tour
- NewsOne Now: Chicago Pastor Sues Police for Road Rage Attack (WATCH)
- Puff Daddy Announces Retirement from Music to Focus on Acting
- ‘Captain America: Civil War’ Cast, Directors Talk Black Panther, Spider-Man and ‘Selfish’ Cap (EUR Exclusive)
- Twitter User Shares Story About Horrifying Rape at Spelman
- Texas Mother of Kids 'Tied Up in Yard Like Dogs' Found in Cali (Watch)
- Ohio Son (Trey Potter) Takes Mom (MelRo Potter) to Her First Prom (WATCH)
- DEA Joins Prince Ivestigation; Kendrick Lamar Joined Him in New Video (WATCH)
- Tyler Perry's Atlanta Mansion Sells at Historic Proportions! (Pictures)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here