However, as the time between Election Day shrinks and shrinks and shrinks (it suddenly seems like it’s just around the corner, doesn’t it?) it’s also important to follow the hotly-contested race for control of the senate. It’s been six years since the mid-Bush “blue wave” swept a fascinating crop of senators into higher office – Jim Webb in Virginia, Claire McCaskill in Missouri, Jon Tester in Montana, Bob Casey Jr. in Pennsylvania – and the upcoming election should prove to be a fascinating referendum on their accomplishments and Obama’s administration. So what Senate races should you watch come election night?
VIRGINIA – Webb isn’t running for a second term, so the race will come down to his opponent in the 2006 elections, Republican George Allen (of the infamous “macaca” comment) and former Gov. Tim Kaine. Virginia has become a lot bluer, and Obama’s healthy polling data in the state suggests that the Democrats may be able to win this.
MISSOURI – Thanks to Republican Rep. Todd Akin’s “legitimate rape” comment, this race got turned on its ear. Akin had a good lead on incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill before his foot-in-mouth moment, and now its McCaskill with a good lead. It would be truly astonishing (and scary) if Akin could pull out a win after his remarks.
MONTANA – The Big Sky country, usually reliably red, elected linebacker-looking Democrat Jon Tester to the Senate in 2006. This time, he faces off against a stronger candidate in Republican Rep. Denny Rehberg, who boasts one of politics’ most awesome ‘staches.
CONNECTICUT – Yes, seriously. The Nutmeg State is generally as blue as the ocean, but Republican candidate Linda McMahon – the wife of WWE monarch Vince – is giving a surprisingly good challenge to Democrat Chris Murphy. Imagine all the wrestling puns that could come out of this match.
MAINE – Another New England battle, this one of the three-way kind; Republican Charlie Summers is pitted against Democrat Cynthia Dill and independent (and former governor) Angus King. Our advice? Bet a guy with the surname “King” running for something in Maine.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 'Natural' Black Bride Goes Viral - The Game Taunts Chris Brown
- Óscar Jaenada Says 'The Shallows' Set to 'Become A Classic’ [EUR Exclusive]
- Miramax Acquires Whitney Doc, Johnnie Cochran Film Finds Director
- Fewer Sex Partners Leads To Divorce, Nick Young & Iggy Azalea 'Split' | BHL's This Week (WATCH)
- Tamron Hall Reveals Her Fear Of Love
- Will Smith Admits That ‘Wild Wild West’ Was a Bad Career Move
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here