Do you feel it has a negative or positive connotation?
Here’s an article from Essence’s Demetria Lucas on the issue:
I’ve been think a lot about feminism lately. You see, I recently wrote a book (maybe you’ve heard?). It’s an advice guide about living single that doesn’t tell women how to jump through hoops to get a man or bend over backwards to keep one, and it somehow manages not to throw men under the bus in order to help women discover how to live their best life. In the aftermath, I keep getting asked in interviews, “So, you’re a feminist, then?” Uh, am I?
If you asked me when I was ten, I would have given an unequivocal “Yes!” Like everyone else my age, I grew up on “The Cosby Show,” and “Rudy” (aka Keisha Knight-Pulliam) was about six months older than me and ten times as dope. Somewhere along the way (her TV-mom?), Rudy had picked up the spunk to confidently shoot down her best friend Kenny’s musings about his brother’s archaic thoughts about women and dating. She was very clear that she had no intention of catering to an undeserving man, or biting her tongue to consider his ego. Just a real clear-cut, take it and if you don’t like it, leave it! I’d heard someone call her a “cute little feminist once.” I deduced that to mean that feminism, as doled out by my favorite Huxtable, seemed to be about not taking any mess of a foolish man, or anyone else (except parents).
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- A Miserable Cam Newton Bolts Out of Press Conference (WATCH)
- After Super Bowl 50 Performance Beyonce Announces 'Formation Tour'
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 to Win Super Bowl
- PETA Approves Jada Pinkett Smith's Ivory Tusk Decor
- John Legend Goes ‘Underground’ With Activism For Upcoming WGN Series
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Chicago Cop Fatally Shoots Teen, Then Sues His Family
- Jay Z's Tidal Selects #BlackLivesMatter for $1.5M Donation
- EUR Exclusive 'Hit the Floor Clip: Funny/Sexy Tension in 'Vegas (WATCH)
- New 'Ghostbusters' Character Images Revealed
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here