Because her husband, President Barack Obama, is a little busy right now, a democratic source confirmed to The Root that she will step in to perform the keynote address at the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Phoenix Awards on Sept. 22.
The source with close ties to the White House acknowledged that “in recent weeks she has solidified her popularity with the American people as one of the strongest voices within the administration on behalf of the president. This keynote address is indicative of that.” The source also noted that they are not oblivious to the fact that she is currently more popular than the commander-in-chief.
Like EURweb on Facebook
The Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Phoenix Awards has become a regular stop on the president’s calendar; but because of the anticipated closeness of this presidential race, he is staying the course on his campaign trail. And rightly so, as a variety of new tricks to keep minority and poor voters away from the polls continue to surface; namely, the Texas law that was recently blocked by the court. Had the law passed, it would have required voters to show government-issued photo identification before casting their ballots in November. It was ruled that the law would hurt turnout among minority voters and impose “strict, unforgiving burdens on the poor” by charging those voters who lack proper documentation fees to obtain election ID cards.
Black Democratic legislators nationwide have emerged as crucial allies to the Obama 2012 campaign. The fact that the first lady is being entrusted with a solo speaking slot at such an important event in an election year speaks to her popularity and newfound political capital.
Following his widely praised performance in Charlotte (North Carolina),Vice President Joe Biden will keynote at the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute gala.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Sanaa Lathan Lands 'Racially-Charged' Drama, Hannibal Buress Debuts Unaired Pilot
- GOP Gov Freezes Funds for Chicago’s 'Operation CeaseFire' As Homicides Rise
- The Film Strip: Joe Wright on Diversity and Rooney Mara on Being Clothed in 'PAN'
- 'Blue Lives Matter' Billboard Campaign Aims to Honor Cops ... And Distract From 'That Other One'
- Snoop Dogg, Birdman, Jermaine Dupri, Damon Dash to Star in BET Reality Series
- Three 6 Mafia Rapper Koopsta Knicca Dies of Stroke at 40
- Freshman, 18, Dies in Shooting at Texas Southern University; Obama Protested in Ore.
- Baltimore Mayor Compares Cop/Community Relations to Bad Marriage
- Malcolm Jamal Warner: ‘Cosby Show’ Legacy ‘Tarnished’ by Bill Cosby (Watch)
- Raven Symone Says She Wouldn't Hire Someone With Ethnic Sounding Name; #BlackTwitter Pounces
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here