*Robin Roberts’ Aug. 30 departure from “Good Morning America” has done nothing to curb the show’s ratings gains against NBC rival “Today.”
While the co-host is out on extended medical leave for a bone marrow transplant, her daytime show has won its third consecutive week in both total viewers and adults 25-54 over the previously unstoppable “Today,” according to the Hollywood Reporter.
For the week of Sept 10, the second without Roberts, “GMA” bested “Today” by more than 600,000 total viewers (4.958 million over 4.306 million) and nearly 100,000 adults 25-54 (1.831 million over 1.732 million). Winning three weeks in a row, it’s the longest streak the show has had in both viewers and the demo in 18 years.
Season to date, “GMA” is the only morning show to see year-over-year gains in total viewers and adults 25-54, rising four and six percent, respectively. (Both “Today” and “CBS This Morning” are down in comparable percentages.) “GMA’s” season average is now just 264,000 shy of Today in total viewers and 327,000 short in the key demo. Those are the narrowest margins since the 1994-95 season.
“GMA” has been without co-host Roberts for three weeks as of Thursday. While she’s receiving treatment for her diagnosed myelodisplastic syndrome, the co-host’s chair is being filled by a revolving door of ABC News personalities — Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Barbara Walters, Elizabeth Vargas — and celebrities like Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Ripa and Chris Rock.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton Confirms 'Love, Marriage & Divorce Part 2' with Babyface
- Jaden Smith Flaunts New Tesla X, That's Not Even Available Yet
- Obama Informs Republicans He WILL Nominate Scalia's Replacement
- Hip-Hop Met Fats Waller in LA!
- Michael Jordan's Rep Responds to 'Crying Jordan' Memes
- Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia Found Dead
- Steph, Ayesha & Michelle Have Fun with 'Banana' Song (WATCH)
- TV Review: The Black Panthers Van Guard of the Revolution
- Wendy Williams Blasts Ciara Over $15 Million Future Lawsuit
- Must See! Barack and Michelle's Valentine's Day Greetings to Each Other (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here