Gospel music advocates, musicians, organizers and supporters will gather Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. at the Warner Theater to kick off nationwide festivities surrounding the 4th Annual Gospel Music Heritage Month Celebration.
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) explained, “From the African American spirituals to Elvis Presley, Mahalia Jackson and Rev. James Cleveland, this unique American music has united generations, classes, and cultures. It is only fitting that we honor Gospel music’s place in both the history of the United States and in our daily lives.”
Since September 2008, Congresswoman Jackson Lee has led the efforts to ensure the contributions, history, and sound of Gospel music are recognized and honored throughout our nation. She has passed resolutions for the past four years designating the month of September as Gospel Music Heritage Month.
This year’s event will be held at the Warner Theater. Grammy-award winning Gospel artist Yolanda Adams will headline this incredible event which is free and open to the public. In addition, the concert will feature Verity Records Gospel recording artist Crystal Akins. Also performing are Gospel artists Maurette Brown-Clark, Damita Haddon, Lil Mo and Phillip Bryant, and 7 Sons of Soul. Additionally, there will be a special guest appearance by the Washington Society for the Performing Arts’ Men and Women of the Gospel Choir.
Read/learn more at The Examiner.
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'The Martian': 'Love Letter to Science' -- Matt Damon
- The Film Strip: New York Comic Con Tickets Going Fast
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts & Boyfriend Sentenced
- Shocking! How BGF Members Made $20K a Month in Jail
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Trump Dismisses Ramos, 2 Reporters Murdered in Virginia, Serena Williams New Boo | BHL's This Week
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here