For 10 of those years she was considered the best female emcee in the game, but for the past decade or so Lyte has made it her life mission to legitimize that which has seemingly become bastardized.
That being Hip-Hop culture in its purest form. It is to that end that a full-tuition, First Wave scholarship has been named for the legendary pioneer for women in Hip-Hop. This partnership will enhance the recruitment of the seventh cohort of the First Wave Learning Community, which launched in 2007 and currently has 65 scholars pursuing degrees in topics from theater & drama to science.
EURweb.com was invited down to Rush Communications’ main office to press conference announcing the groundbreaking event. As Founder and CEO of the Hip Hop Sisters Network MC Lyte, in conjunction with advisory board members Russell Simmons, Melanie Fiona, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Salt, University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW-Madison) Vice Provost and Chief Diversity Officer Dr. Damon A. Williams, and HHSF President Lynn Richardson, have announced the $100,000 hip-hop scholarship partnership that will enable one college-bound student to pursue a bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
It’s being called the MC Lyte/First Wave scholarship and it’s the only scholarship of its kind that we are aware of in that part of its requirements are that the recipient demonstrate mastery of one of the 5 pillars of Hip-Hop while being a B average student in the classroom. If you are, or no of, a high school senior who has demonstrated mastery in Hip-Hop, in addition to scholastic mastery, then you might want to give them the heads up.
The deadline is October 1, 2012 and the winner will be announced by MC Lyte and HHSF in collaboration with this year’s Soul Train Music Awards. Check out our video footage of the press conference below.
- NeNe Leakes Announces She's Leaving 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- Child Dies on Father's Day After Dad Leaves Her in Hot Car to Go Drinking
- Jada Pinkett Smith 'Magic Mike XXL' & Objectification (Watch)
- Byron Jackson Brings 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' to BET (WATCH)
- Diddy May Catch Break in UCLA Case, but Could Lose Liquor License
- Ava DuVernay References 'Black Panther' in Support of Bree Newsome
- S.C. Legislature Has Votes to Remove Confederate Flag; KKK to Rally at Statehouse
- NBC Wants Minority Host to Replace Trump on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’?
- Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin Goes Viral with Anti-Confederate Flag Post
- Report: Tyga Fails to Pay 50K Offered to Squash Underage Sexual Battery Lawsuit
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here