*Thousands of Gospel fans cheering, praising and worshipping filled Staples Center Friday nigh for Verizon’s 5th Annual How Sweet the Sound gospel competition.
Some of the best choirs from all over the Western region battled it out to make it to Los Angeles for an inspiring night of empowerment and encouragement.
Hosted by Gospel Award-winning artists Yolanda Adams and Donald Lawrence, each of the six featured choirs was judged by an all-star Gospel line up, including Fred Hammond, Erica Campbell, Hezekiah Walker, and Vashawn Mitchell.
From the beginning, audience members were on their feet, dancing, singing along and clapping their hands.
A few praise breaks and sermon breaks filled the atmosphere like the smell of grandma’s cooking on a Sunday afternoon.
The six choirs, church, community and college, were judged on overall presence, technical merit and originality or interpretation of a song.
While the audience was moved to praise and everyone had a great time, there could only be one victorious team of singers.
Darnell Daymon & The Greater Works Chorale wowed the audience and judges with an electrifying rendition of “Do You Know Him.” From the outset, the choir impressed with a unique presentation of a 50’s-style get-up. The ladies were clad in yellow, with beautiful pill box-like hairpieces that complemented their lacy gloves. The men strutted out in chocolate brown suits. They took it all home –the Regional People’s Choice Award (audience votes via phone) and Regional Winner Award, totaling to $15,000 in prize money.
The first college choir to compete in How Sweet the Sound, the Gospel Gators of San Francisco State University, struck a very particular chord with the judges, despite being runner up.
Fred was elated to see the young people unapologetically praising God. They received a check of $5,000.
The winners in each of the seven regions of the competition will praise it out in New York, Nov. 4, for the final step in the competition.
Learn more at www.howsweetthesound.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Police Erased Video of CLaquan McDonald Shooting: Burger King Manager
- Phaedra Blogs Support for Cynthia and Peter During Marital Drama
- Tyra Banks Not Feuding with Chrissy Teigen, Chooses Beauty Brand Over 'FABLife'
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here