Boasting “Black is Beautiful,” and wearing a close-cropped auburn-colored ‘fro, this bonafide soul sista strikes a pose that few women can effectively emulate. Oozing confidence, beauty, and authenticity, she tells ESSENCE,
“This is the simplest form of myself. I look in the mirror and it’s like, ‘Hey, there you go. What’s up, girl?’ For me, hair is an accoutrement. Hair is jewelry. It’s an accessory. Tomorrow I may want a wig down to my butt and I’m gonna rock it, and the next day I may want a big Afro and I’m gonna rock that too…”
Whatever you do, don’t get it twisted. This girl’s been through her stuff too. For the past couple of years, things haven’t been moving in a great direction. Scott saw the end of her first marriage; a broken engagement to her son’s father; a split fromHiddenBeach– her longtime record label, and a sad and abrupt end to her HBO series, “The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency.”
We’ve heard the saying, “This too shall pass.” Thank goodness it has! A new leaf has turned, and Jill Scott is ready to reap the rewards for sticking it out. She talks to ESSENCE about how “the lights came on” after she turned 40. She is starring in Lifetime TV’s all-Black remake of the classic movie, “Steel Magnolias,” and she continues to pack the house on tour.
As fab as the cover is, it almost didn’t happen all according to TheYBF. They’re reporting that Jilly from Philly had to put her foot down in order get Essence to feature her natural hair on the cover.
Jill exclusively told TheYBF.com that she “staged sort of a coup” to make sure she could rock her natural hair for the cover. The confident chick gave the magazine company a choice–either she did the cover spread with her natural hair, or she wasn’t doing the cover AT ALL.
When we asked who would actually protest her request, she said we would be surprised, because it indeed happens.
Well, you go girl!
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- After UK’s ‘Brexit’ Vote, Texas Secessionists Call for ‘Texit’
- Mariah Carey to Receive Bravo’s 1st Ever ‘Giving Me Life Achievement Award’
- Parliament-Funkadelic Keyboardist Bernie Worrell Dies at 72
- Erykah Badu Directs Video for Robert Glasper Collabo ‘Maiysha (So Long)’ (Watch)
- TLC Begins Production on Tyler Perry's 'Too Close to Home'
- Deon Cole of ‘Black-ish’ Scores Standup Special on Comedy Central
- Bill Cosby Accuser Drops Defamation Lawsuit, But Still 'In Solidarity' With Alleged Victims
- Trolls Trying to Insult Steph Curry's 3-Year-Old Daughter Mistakenly Tweet Grown Man (See His Response)
- Larenz Tate, Mike Colter Join Queen Latifah’s ‘Girl Trip’
- TV Academy Sues Over Whitney Houston's Illegal Emmy Auction
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here