Yes, the ex-mayor of Detroit is on trail again. This time for corruption, reports the Detroit Free Press.
The federal government introduced its massive and complex public corruption case to the jury Friday by pulling out a five-word text message that it says sums up the purpose of what it calls the Kilpatrick Enterprise: “Let’s get us some money.”
“These are the words of the defendants sitting behind me,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Chutkow told jurors in his opening statement.
Chutkow spent 45 minutes describing what he said was a scheme by ex-Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick; his father, Bernard Kilpatrick; his longtime contractor friend Bobby Ferguson, and ex-city water director Victor Mercado. He said they used the mayor’s office to line their own pockets by rigging water contracts and shaking down contractors to steer work toward Ferguson — who made $120 million from city projects while his friend was in office and then shared the money with the Kilpatricks.
“They made themselves rich by taking public money for themselves,” said Chutkow, later concluding: “It was the citizens of Detroit who were left holding the short end of the stick.”
Read/learn more at Freep.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- FBI: No Evidence Orlando Gunman Omar Mateen Was Gay
- Vince Wilfork: 'Big Boned' NFL Lineman Brings the Sexy to ESPN's 'Body Issue' (PHOTOS)
- Tina Lawson Explains Why Beyonce Hated Her Wedding Dress
- Ciara, Kim Kardashian, Chrissy Teigen Cameo in Fergie’s New ‘M.I.L.F. $’ Video (Watch)
- NFL’s Jason Pierre Paul Shows Blown Up Hand in New Firework Safety PSA (Watch)
- Fugitive Shanika Minor from FBI’s Most Wanted List Caught in North Carolina Motel
- Tavis Smiley: Prince ‘Locked Himself in his Bedroom for Days' After Michael Jackson Died (Watch)
- Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles Cover Teen Vogue, Talk Body Acceptance (Video)
- Obama’s Favorites: Kendrick Lamar, Janelle Monae Set for July 4 Event at White House
- Cops Help Toss Chris Brown From Ibiza Rental Trashed With Urine and Vomit
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here