LOS ANGELES, Calif., Sep. 11, 2012 — Out of 24 teams representing Africa, Caribbean, and the United States, teams from the USA (LAPD Centurions), Ghana, Cameroon, and Nigeria have advanced to the 2012 Los Angeles African Soccer Tournament’s semi-final game scheduled for the Home Depot Center Saturday, Sept. 15. A family-friendly and free event, both the semi-final and final games will be played as a part of the Home Depot Center’s African Heritage Day taking place from 11 A.M. to 7 P.M. and will feature a live concert with African and West Indian musicians, dancing, music, and more. The Home Depot Center is located at 18400 South Avalon Boulevard in Carson, Calif. For more information, please call (323) 993-8662 or log onto www.africansoccerla.com.
A CalSouth sanctioned event, the 2012 Los Angeles African Soccer Tournament featured teams from Belize, Angola, Zambia, Uganda, Togo, Tanzania, Sudan, South Africa, Senegal, Rwanda, Nigeria, Namibia, Mauritania, Morocco, Kenya, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Ghana, Eritrea, DR Congo, Cameroon, and the L.A.P.D. Centurions representing the United States.
According to the U.S. Census, it is estimated that the current population of African immigrants to the United States is about 881,300. In Los Angeles County there are about 26,000 Africans representing almost 3 percent of the black population. African countries in Los Angeles County with the most immigrants include Ethiopia, Nigeria, Ghana, and South Africa.
Produced by Vuvzela Media and Marketing Co., the event is sponsored in part by Soccer Shop USA, Money Gram International, Red Cross International, Afrozon, Fatal Cut Entertainment, Chivas USA, New Designs Charter School, Turkish Airlines, South African Airlines, Clear Essence Cosmetics, African Trumpet, Carib Press, Immigrant Magazine with support from the Los Angeles Police Department and the Los Angeles Fire Department.
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Happy 116th Birthday to World’s Oldest, Susannah Mushatt Jones (Video)
- Aretha Franklin Thanks Illinois for Helping Her after Bus Broke Down
- South Carolina Senate Votes to Remove Confederate Flag from Statehouse
- Russell Wilson, Ciara Practicing Abstinence: ‘I Need You to Pray for Us’ (Watch)
- Michael K. Williams Joins ‘Ghostbusters’ All-Female Remake
- Tami Roman Says Shaunie O’Neal Will ‘Pop Off’ on ‘BBWLA’ This Season (Watch)
- Fo Yo Soul Recordings/RCA Signs Christon Gray
- Nick Gordon Hires Casey Anthony’s Lawyer
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here