She earned the nickname “Baby Etta” for her strong voice, and says what’s on her mind. Just like Etta did.
“She’s didn’t take no stuff; I don’t take no stuff. I can just relate to that,” Leela said in a recent interview with Essence.
Now she’s paying homage to the legendary singer with a new album, “Love You More … In the Spirit of Etta James.”
Embracing the solid classics and lesser-known ballads, Leela said this one is all about honoring her idol through music.
“One of the execs at my label suggested we do a song in dedication to Etta. It kind of started out as one song, and then the project evolved,” Leela said. “With her death and everything, we were like ‘how about we make this whole project in dedication to her’ because she was such an incredible artist? I felt like she didn’t get a lot of respect and props while she was alive. I said we need to keep her music and legacy out there and this would be a great way to reintroduce her to a whole new generation. She has so much material. She was an awesome lady. We took a few of her songs, flipped them, and gave them a whole new sound, but in the same spirit. I also do a couple of originals on the album.”
Check out the full interview here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kanye West Reportedly Fired Security Guard for Trying to Talk to His Wife
- Prince Being Added to Apollo Theater’s Walk of Fame
- Jay Z To Tell ‘His Side ’ of Beyonce Marriage in New Album (Report)
- Heartbreaking: Teen Bullied on Social Media Over Her Prom Photo
- Lawrence Adjah, Founder of Our Family Dinner, Seeks to Re-Connect Millennials
- Prince Update: He was Scheduled to Meet with Addiction Doctor (Report)
- Beyoncé Announces Investment in Watermelon Sports Drink Co.
- Did You Wake Up to The Voice of 'The Rock'? You Could (Watch)
- 50 Cent Apologizes to Family of Autistic Airport Worker
- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder wants Pres. Obama to Drink Flint Water
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here