*Macy Gray’s next project, a reinterpretation of Stevie Wonder’s 1972 album “Talking Book,” is due for release on Oct. 30 – which coincides with the 40th anniversary of the original recording.
Following its release on Oct. 28, 1972, Wonder’s multi-platinum album peaked at No. 3 on the pop chart and No. 1 on the R&B albums chart. It also led to three Grammy Awards for Wonder, including best R&B song for “Superstition.”
The hits “Sunshine of My Life” and “Superstition” are among the 10 “Talking Book” tracks that Gray re-imagines for her 429 Records/Savoy Label Group release, with production from Hal Willner (Lou Reed, Metallica), reports Billboard.com.
Describing her “Talking Book” reinterpretation as a “love letter” rather than a tribute album, Gray tells Billboard: “It’s one of my favorite albums. I’ve never heard a whole album remake before. Thought I’d try one …”
Currently in Australia as she continues her 2012 worldwide tour, Gray appears in director Lee Daniels’ forthcoming film, “The Paperboy.” The movie stars John Cusack, Nicole Kidman, Matthew McConaughey and Zac Efron.
Earlier this year, Gray released her 429 Records debut, “Covered,” featuring covers of such songs as Arcade Fire’s “Wake Up” and Radiohead’s “Creep.” The collection was the follow-up to the singer’s 2010 Concord album “The Sellout,” which peaked at No. 38 on the Billboard 200.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Oprah's Convo with T. D. Jakes About Mega Church Series 'Greenleaf' (Photos)
- George Zimmerman Brags About Selling Gun That Killed Trayvon
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Angela Simmons Confirms Pregnancy: 'We Are Overjoyed'
- How to Start Your Own Online Casino
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here