*Mariah Carey sat down with “The Hollywood Reporter” to dish on her new stint as an “American Idol” judge, which officially began with Sunday’s first season-12 auditions in New York.
“I try to be honest and I try to be constructive,” Carey told THR on Wednesday night at a Peggy Siegal Company party for Penny Marshall’s new book, My Mother Was Nuts, at Monkey Bar in midtown.
“I don’t know if that means that I’m nice or mean or whatever,” she continued. “I’m a producer and I’m a songwriter, and I look at myself as a singer as kind of third. But I look at these kids as though we’re in the studio producing a record. And if I feel they should have done something a certain way, I’ll say, ‘you can try this, you can try this,’ only in a constructive way, to sort of be a guide and someone to give them guidance rather than, like, judging somebody.”
So far, she said, “It’s been very interesting. The main thing is seeing how many diverse voices there are out there, and how much untapped talent there really is and we’re only in the first two shows so far.”
Earlier this week, “Idol” host Ryan Seacrest addressed reports that Carey is feuding with Minaj, saying in an appearance on the Today show: “Nicki and Mariah, two very different, strong, powerful successful women on the panel — there are not too many dull moments between the two of them. But at the end of the day, we all hug and laugh and go home and get ready for another day.”
When asked about working with Minaj, Carey demurred, “You know what, I think the whole thing is gonna be an experience that unfolds each day. But it’s cool, I’m glad to be there, and right now after this, I’m going to the studio and working on some new music and (I’m) excited about that. … That’s always gonna be the most exciting thing for me.”
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Tons of Laughs with Vacation; Stars Ed Helms and Christina Applegate as the Griswolds
- James Arawole Launches Crowdfunding Campaign for Young Adult Novel on Struggles of Black Teens Living with Type-1 Diabetes
- With Iran Deal in Trouble, White House Reaching Out to Liberals for Support
- Atlanta Group MAKO Girls' Prep for Summer Promo Tour
- THE (07-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- LAPD on #100days100nights: 'Things Have Calmed Down'
- Tami Roman Reveals Health Issues Causing Pregnancy Woes
- Jay Pharoah Talks About His Battle with Depression (WATCH)
- Oprah Winfrey’s OWN Adds Megachurch Drama Series 'Greenleaf'
- Russell Simmons Signs New First-Look Deal with HBO, Sets Def Comedy Jam Anniversary Special
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here