*Mariah Carey sat down with “The Hollywood Reporter” to dish on her new stint as an “American Idol” judge, which officially began with Sunday’s first season-12 auditions in New York.
“I try to be honest and I try to be constructive,” Carey told THR on Wednesday night at a Peggy Siegal Company party for Penny Marshall’s new book, My Mother Was Nuts, at Monkey Bar in midtown.
“I don’t know if that means that I’m nice or mean or whatever,” she continued. “I’m a producer and I’m a songwriter, and I look at myself as a singer as kind of third. But I look at these kids as though we’re in the studio producing a record. And if I feel they should have done something a certain way, I’ll say, ‘you can try this, you can try this,’ only in a constructive way, to sort of be a guide and someone to give them guidance rather than, like, judging somebody.”
So far, she said, “It’s been very interesting. The main thing is seeing how many diverse voices there are out there, and how much untapped talent there really is and we’re only in the first two shows so far.”
Earlier this week, “Idol” host Ryan Seacrest addressed reports that Carey is feuding with Minaj, saying in an appearance on the Today show: “Nicki and Mariah, two very different, strong, powerful successful women on the panel — there are not too many dull moments between the two of them. But at the end of the day, we all hug and laugh and go home and get ready for another day.”
When asked about working with Minaj, Carey demurred, “You know what, I think the whole thing is gonna be an experience that unfolds each day. But it’s cool, I’m glad to be there, and right now after this, I’m going to the studio and working on some new music and (I’m) excited about that. … That’s always gonna be the most exciting thing for me.”
- The Socialist's Journal: The Peril of Being Hillary Clinton
- Gunshots Damage 3 Luxury Cars At Studio Connected with Rick Ross
- THE (07-07-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- The New Trailer for Universal Pictures’ 'Steve Jobs' has Just Debuted Online [Watch]
- Jill Scott UNdefends Bill Cosby: She is Now 'Completely Disgusted'
- K. Michelle Pleads with Black Media to Leave Her Alone
- Kelly Rowland Joins 'Empire,' Talks Losing 50lbs of Baby Weight
- tWitch on Returning to ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ as a Mentor
- Wal-Mart's New 24-Hour Neighborhood Markets Pose a Scare for Trader Joe's and Others
- Bill Cosby Admitted in 2005 to Drugging Woman with Quaaludes (Report)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here