*Mitt Romney said last night he stands by his message in a secretly taped video, in which he is heard saying that 47% of Americans will vote for President Obama because they are “victims” and “dependent upon government.” [Scroll down to watch.]
In brief remarks to reporters, Romney said his comments were not “elegantly stated” and “spoken off the cuff” during a fundraiser months ago. But his point, he said, is that Obama relies on the government to help people while his approach is rooted in free enterprise. Romney said Obama’s approach is “attractive to people who do not pay taxes.”
The video was obtained by the magazine Mother Jones, which said it came from a source who shot the video at a donor event at the Boca Raton, Fla., home of Marc Leder, a private equity manager. Reaction to it blew up as Romney tried to reset his campaign, amid polls showing he is trailing Obama.
Obama campaign manager Jim Messina called Romney’s taped comments “shocking.”
Here is one of Romney’s quotes from the video:
“There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47% who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ciara Admits Struggle to Abstain From Sex With Russell Wilson
- Cam Newton Posts Pic of Baby Son Chosen
- Idris Elba Lands Romantic Drama; Samuel L. Jackson Pursues ‘Revival’ Role
- Cam Newton Posts Heartfelt Message to his Supporters
- Beyonce Backlash, Cam Newton Criticized, Black Panther Party Documentary & More! | BHL's This Week
- The Deya Direct Podcast: What is a Man Whisperer?
- LAUSD Whistleblower Protection - Does it Exist?
- The Pulse of Entertainment: Screen Actors Guild Honors Outstanding Performances at 22nd Annual SAG Awards
- David Cash Reemerges as 'Justdavid'
- ‘Deadpool’ Off the Charts, ‘Single’ Suffers, and ‘Zoolander 2’ is Clueless
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here