*Mitt Romney said last night he stands by his message in a secretly taped video, in which he is heard saying that 47% of Americans will vote for President Obama because they are “victims” and “dependent upon government.” [Scroll down to watch.]
In brief remarks to reporters, Romney said his comments were not “elegantly stated” and “spoken off the cuff” during a fundraiser months ago. But his point, he said, is that Obama relies on the government to help people while his approach is rooted in free enterprise. Romney said Obama’s approach is “attractive to people who do not pay taxes.”
The video was obtained by the magazine Mother Jones, which said it came from a source who shot the video at a donor event at the Boca Raton, Fla., home of Marc Leder, a private equity manager. Reaction to it blew up as Romney tried to reset his campaign, amid polls showing he is trailing Obama.
Obama campaign manager Jim Messina called Romney’s taped comments “shocking.”
Here is one of Romney’s quotes from the video:
“There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47% who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ohio Son (Trey Potter) Takes Mom (MelRo Potter) to Her First Prom (WATCH)
- DEA Joins Prince Ivestigation; Kendrick Lamar Joined Him in New Video (WATCH)
- Tyler Perry's Atlanta Mansion Sells at Historic Proportions! (Pictures)
- Larry Wilmore: Shut Up! - N**ger * N**ga Are Two Different Things
- FAMU Grad Single Mom (Taylor Hunter) Testament to Power of Perseverance
- THE (05-05-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- EURweb.com Partners with Blackmon Entertainment Media on Exclusive New Media Licensing Deal
- It's GAME Time! Says Fashion Accessory Brand, Sprayground
- Trump Takes GOP Nomination; Will Black America Listen to His Presidential Plan? (Video)
- Afrika Bambaataa Now Accused of Molesting Hundreds of Boys
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here