You bought the so-called Nicki Minaj “republican” verse on the Lil Wayne song, ‘Mercy’ hook, line and sinker; and even President Obama knew better.
Hail to the Chief. Holla!
When hip hop fans thought Minaj was backing Mitt Romney for president after her verse on Lil Wayne’s song “Mercy,” the insults went into overdrive. Minaj even received threatening messages via Twitter. They may not have been legitimate but some people went as far as to request that “someone kill Nicki.” Another tweet read, “If Romney wins, I hope you die @NICKIMINAJ”
Rapper Talib Kweli defended Minaj, suggesting that the lyric was not meant to be interpreted literally.
“I doubt Nicki seriously supports Romney. Her lyrics ain’t political. She just wants y’all to talk about her & she winning cuz it’s working!” Kweli tweeted.
But Minaj had at least one major supporter, the president himself, as we reported yesterday.
“I’m not sure that is actually what happened,” Obama said in an interview with Orlando pop station Power 953. Admitting that his daughters Sasha and Malia don’t listen to the rapper much because they are they are “not hipper than me,” the president adds, “I think she had a song on there, a little rap that said that. But, she likes to play different characters. So I don’t know what’s going on there.”
(Wait, can you picture the Chief strolling around the White House lawn with Nicki Minaj on his Mp3?)
On “Mercy”, the latest single from Lil Wayne’s Dedication 4, Minaj raps, “I’m a Republican voting for Mitt Romney, you lazy b*tches are f**king up the economy.”
“That was probably Roman who did it,” one of the radio hosts jokingly added in reference to Minaj’s nefarious alter-ego Roman Zolanski.
A delighted Minaj tweeted in response to the president: “Ha! Thank you for understanding my creative humor & sarcasm Mr. President, the smart ones always do… *sends love & support* @barackobama”
She also added: “Awesome! Now I can tell my grandchildren that the 1st black President of the United States took the time to address a Nicki Minaj question.”
Yep, you sure can Ms. Minaj.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Angela Simmons Confirms Pregnancy: 'We Are Overjoyed'
- How to Start Your Own Online Casino
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- The Pulse of Entertainment: MBK’s Glory2Glory Presents Livre’, ‘Jericho: Tribe of Joshua’
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here