*The OWN two-hour special, “The First Graduating Class: Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls,” chronicles the roller coaster ride of fulfilling Oprah Winfrey’s vision to provide underprivileged girls in South Africa with a world-class education. [Scroll down to watch a preview.]
In a behind-the-scenes look at Oprah’s Academy, the show introduces viewers to the young women of the school’s first graduating class, following every step of their journey as they tackle the challenges of their senior year and apply for college.
“This journey began as a dream to build a school for girls in South Africa,” said Winfrey. “I have an especially close connection to this first graduating class. I hand-picked each of them. I can see who they are, where they came from and the potential of who they can be. To create a school that is able to change the trajectory of these students’ lives has been one of the greatest gifts of my life.”
Seventy-two young women made history in 2012 when they became the first to graduate from The Oprah Academy. From their arrival at the school to their first visit to the United States to tour colleges, the special provides personal accounts of the school’s first students, who at age twelve or thirteen left their homes and families behind to pursue an opportunity to follow their dreams.
The two-hour special premieres Sunday, October 14, 9:00 to 11:00 p.m. ET/PT on OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Watch a trailer below.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mike Tirico Says Goodbye to ESPN after 25 Years (Watch Full Remarks)
- Vic Mensa Suggests Justin Timberlake ‘Support Black People When It’s More Difficult’ (Watch)
- Apple in Talks to Acquire Jay Z’s Streaming Service Tidal
- Ludacris Surprises Wife Eudoxie With New $160,000 Benz (Watch)
- Free Hamburgers to Anyone Who Changes Their Last Name to 'Burger'
- Kyrie Irving Calls ‘No Black Girls Allowed’ Yacht Party Backlash ‘Ridiculous’
- Demolition of Aretha Franklin’s Birth Home Postponed
- Overcoming Dating Burnout: How to Thrive in the Deprived Dating Scene
- Daddy & Daughter Release Book for Brooklyn, NYC Tourists
- THE (07-01-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here