*Reacting to Mitt Romney’s most recent gaffe, President Barack Obama said Tuesday that Americans are not “victims” and that voters want to make sure that their president is “not writing off big chunks of the country.”
The president’s comment was in response to a secretly taped and newly released video showing the Republican presidential nominee saying that “47 percent of the people” are Obama supporters who depend on government and believe they are victims.
“My expectation is that if you want to be president, you have to work for everyone, not just for some,” Obama said in a taping of the “Late Show” with David Letterman.
It was Obama’s first response to the video, which has roiled Romney’s campaign and put him on the defensive about his views about nearly half the nation. The president appeared on the TV show before a night of fundraising in New York City with Jay-Z and Beyonce.
In the video, taken during a May fundraiser and posted online Monday, Romney said it is not his job “to worry about those people.” He was referring to what he called Obama’s locked-in supporters who believe they are “entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”
Romney has since said he made his point inelegantly in trying to describe differing visions for the nation.
“There are not a lot of people out there who think they are victims” or simply entitled, Obama said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here