*Reacting to Mitt Romney’s most recent gaffe, President Barack Obama said Tuesday that Americans are not “victims” and that voters want to make sure that their president is “not writing off big chunks of the country.”
The president’s comment was in response to a secretly taped and newly released video showing the Republican presidential nominee saying that “47 percent of the people” are Obama supporters who depend on government and believe they are victims.
“My expectation is that if you want to be president, you have to work for everyone, not just for some,” Obama said in a taping of the “Late Show” with David Letterman.
It was Obama’s first response to the video, which has roiled Romney’s campaign and put him on the defensive about his views about nearly half the nation. The president appeared on the TV show before a night of fundraising in New York City with Jay-Z and Beyonce.
In the video, taken during a May fundraiser and posted online Monday, Romney said it is not his job “to worry about those people.” He was referring to what he called Obama’s locked-in supporters who believe they are “entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”
Romney has since said he made his point inelegantly in trying to describe differing visions for the nation.
“There are not a lot of people out there who think they are victims” or simply entitled, Obama said.
- Aretha Franklin: The Queen Rules L.A. - Review by Miki Turner
- The Weeknd Close to Reaching Plea Deal in Cop Hitting Case
- 'Silly' is How Ben Carson Sees the ‘Black Lives Matter’ Movement
- Chicago Man Wrongly Imprisoned for 17 Years, Shot Dead at Home (WATCH)
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Funeral Filled with Family, Music and Spirituality
- Teddy Pendergrass, Angie Stone Team For Posthumous ‘Love TKO’ Duet (LISTEN)
- Is the Media Still on that 'Make Black People Look Bad' Thing?
- THE (08-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here