*Reacting to Mitt Romney’s most recent gaffe, President Barack Obama said Tuesday that Americans are not “victims” and that voters want to make sure that their president is “not writing off big chunks of the country.”
The president’s comment was in response to a secretly taped and newly released video showing the Republican presidential nominee saying that “47 percent of the people” are Obama supporters who depend on government and believe they are victims.
“My expectation is that if you want to be president, you have to work for everyone, not just for some,” Obama said in a taping of the “Late Show” with David Letterman.
It was Obama’s first response to the video, which has roiled Romney’s campaign and put him on the defensive about his views about nearly half the nation. The president appeared on the TV show before a night of fundraising in New York City with Jay-Z and Beyonce.
In the video, taken during a May fundraiser and posted online Monday, Romney said it is not his job “to worry about those people.” He was referring to what he called Obama’s locked-in supporters who believe they are “entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”
Romney has since said he made his point inelegantly in trying to describe differing visions for the nation.
“There are not a lot of people out there who think they are victims” or simply entitled, Obama said.
- Rain Pryor Talks Race, Richard Pryor and ‘Fried Chicken & Latkes’
- Exclusive: Dayo Okeniyi Has Pivotal Role in 'Terminator Genysis'
- Dr. Rosie Milligan: The Malignant Hate Cancer Took Nine Lives
- Allen West: Confederate Flag is ‘Manufactured Political Crisis’ by Left
- Panel Photos: Beautiful Textures Presents 'Who Wore What,' BET Awards Fashion Recap [Photos]
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: Why Are So Many Schools Still Named Robert E. Lee?
- The Socialist's Journal: Quick Hits Part 2
- THE (06-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- New Book! 'Diana Ross Reflections'
- EUR on the Scene: BET Experience Fan Fest 2015 (PHOTOS!)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here