*Singer-songwriter Randy Newman has some things to say about race relations in America through a new piano tune he wrote called “I’m Dreaming,” which features the refrain: “I’m dreaming of a white president.”
The lyrics refer to someone who votes for the president because he is white.
Newman, who is white, is openly supporting President Barack Obama. He says he wants the public to find comedic relief in the song, but to also know he’s serious about his thoughts that racism is still prevalent in the world — and in the current presidential race. He called racism “the great issue of this country.”
“I felt that that sentiment exists in the country,” Newman said in an interview with the Associated Press Monday. “I don’t know how many people you can get to admit it. I think maybe zero.”
The song will be released as a free download today and Newman is encouraging listeners to donate to the United Negro College Fund.
“I’m Dreaming” features lyrics like: “He won’t be the brightest, perhaps, but he’ll be the whitest, and I’ll vote for that.” He said as he wrote the song the lyrics “didn’t come that easy.”
“It’s delicate enough that I’m going to offend people every which way, but I wanted to get it right as best I could,” said Newman, who added that he’s always worried there may be some backlash following the release of a song like this one.
Newman believes Obama will be re-elected in November and feels that Republican contender Mitt Romney isn’t a “serious candidate for president.”
Newman said he’s proud of how America has progressed, though, but adds that “there’s a long way to go.”
“No European country would have elected a black man,” he said. “I can’t believe it happened. I think it’s fantastic, like a step on the moon.”
Newman, 68, has won multiple Academy Awards, Grammys and Emmys for composing music for movies such as “Cars,” ”Monsters, Inc.,” the “Toy Story” franchise and the TV series “Monk.” He often writes songs from the perspective of a character not like himself. “Short People,” the 1977 No. 2 Billboard hit, attacked short people. And “Sail Away” is a come on from a slave trader to a potential slave.
The Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee said some friends told him to save “I’m Dreaming” — which he wrote a couple weeks ago — for an upcoming album, but he says releasing it now is perfect timing.
“I think it’s for the moment,” he said. “It’s not going to live forever.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Peter Thomas and Cynthia Bailey Catch New Legal Battle
- Designer of Prince’s Purple Rain, Lovesexy & Parade Album Covers Reminisces
- Prince’s Music Vault Reportedly ‘Drilled Open’ by Bank Overseeing Estate
- Four 911 Calls Made from Paisley Park Between 2013 and Prince’s Death
- Joy Reid to Take Over Melissa Harris Perry’s Former MSNBC Timeslots
- EUR on the Red Carpet with Key and Peele's New Funny Flick, 'Keanu' (Watch)
- Larry Wilmore on Hosting Final WHCD Under Obama: ‘I’m Very Nervous’
- Beyonce’s Protégé Duo Chloe x Halle Premiere EP ‘Sugar Symphony’ (Listen)
- Rookie Cop Beats Handcuffed Woman & it's Caught on Camera! (WATCH)
- Prince Death Probe: Authorities Looking for 'Friendly' Docs who Prescribed Pills
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here