The former UCLA and Indiana Pacers star joined sister Cheryl Miller, a two-time NCAA tournament MVP at Southern California and 1995 Hall inductee, as the first brother-sister pair in the Springfield shrine.
“I just so happened to live across the hall from absolutely, positively the greatest women’s basketball player ever,” Miller said as his sister stood by with tears in her eyes. “I’m proud to say I am not on this stage if it wasn’t for you, Cheryl Deann. We rode your shoulders all the way here. So thank you for your help.”
Also inducted were Don Barksdale and Jamaal Wilkes in the 12-person class of 2012. Two-time ABA Most Valuable Player Mel Daniels also was inducted, though illness prevented him from attending the ceremony at Springfield Symphony Hall.
Miller, who was introduced for induction by his sister; along with Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley, retired as the most prolific 3-point shooter in NBA history, making 2,560 in his career for a record that stood until Ray Allen surpassed it in 2011.
That’s not counting the playoffs, when he built his reputation for performing under pressure.
His signature moment was perhaps the 1995 playoff game against the New York Knicks when he scored eight points in 8.9 seconds. On the Hall stage, Miller finally admitted that he shoved Greg Anthony and held him on the ground before the steal that set up the second of his back-to-back 3-pointers.
“Like Magic said, ‘By any means necessary,’” Miller said, offering a similar admission to pushing Michael Jordan in the 1998 playoffs. “Yeah, Michael, I did shove you, too. But I’ve seen you do it so many times to so many players, so I figured it was OK.”
- Fox Gives ‘Empire’ Fans Early Prep for Season 2 with 22-Minute Featurette (WATCH)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Marriage Inspires New Sitcom
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Shannon J. Miles Arrested As Suspect in Killing of Texas Deputy
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'The Martian': 'Love Letter to Science' -- Matt Damon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here