The Hollywood Reporter says one of reasons was that he started his run a week ahead of what’s supposed to be his biggest competition, Katie Couric.
In fact, it was the strongest premiere other than Dr. Oz’s in 2009.
The first episode of the self-titled talker received a 1.5 household rating and 4 share in 48 markets, a 50 percent jump in the time period average, year over year. It’s also a 25 percent gain from its lead-in.
Among the especially sought after female demographics in his time period, Harvey was up 133 percent, year over year, with women 18-34, 100 percent with 18-49-ers and 80 percent among 25-54-year-olds.
No series has posted stronger MM numbers since Dr. Oz premiered in 2009.
Elsewhere in syndication, the official end of the 2011-12 season gave another win to Judge Judy, easily the top performer with an average 7.0 HH rating. Dr. Phil won among talk show hosts with a 2.9 rating.
In third, just behind Dr. Oz, was Live! With Kelly. Her largely solo outing last year averaged a 2.5 rating. That number, of course, was eclipsed on Tuesday with the highly-rated addition of Michael Strahan. The new co-host’s first day on the job pulled in a 3.9 rating.
So, have you watched “Steve Harvey” yet? If so, what do you like about it and why do you think it will succeed?
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here