The legendary 62-year-old musical genius has issued an apology in the wake of comments he made about the sexual orientation of R&B newcomer Frank Ocean, who – not too long ago – told the world that his first love was a man.
“I’m sorry that my words about anyone feeling confused about their love were misunderstood,” said Wonder in a statement to The Advocate.
Like EURweb on Facebook
If you don’t know the details, Wonder was referring to remarks he made in an interview with The Guardian, where he complimented Ocean’s music but said “some people who think they’re gay, they’re confused.”
“People can misconstrue closeness for love. People can feel connected, they bond,” Wonder went on to say in the interview. “I’m not saying all [gay people are confused]. Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that’s them.”
As you can imagine, once the you-know-what hit the fan, it didn’t take long for the Wonder-man to start backtracking.
“No one has been a greater advocate for the power of love in this world than I; both in my life and in my music. Clearly, love is love, between a man and a woman, a woman and a man, a woman and a woman and a man and a man. What I’m not confused about is the world needing much more love, no hate, no prejudice, no bigotry and more unity, peace and understanding. Period.”
Interestingly, Frank Ocean’s debut album, Channel Orange, drew many comparisons to Stevie Wonder’s artistry. And even more interestingly, according to reports, Wonder sang the hook of “No Church in the Wild” to Ocean when they met backstage at a concert.
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here