The legendary 62-year-old musical genius has issued an apology in the wake of comments he made about the sexual orientation of R&B newcomer Frank Ocean, who – not too long ago – told the world that his first love was a man.
“I’m sorry that my words about anyone feeling confused about their love were misunderstood,” said Wonder in a statement to The Advocate.
Like EURweb on Facebook
If you don’t know the details, Wonder was referring to remarks he made in an interview with The Guardian, where he complimented Ocean’s music but said “some people who think they’re gay, they’re confused.”
“People can misconstrue closeness for love. People can feel connected, they bond,” Wonder went on to say in the interview. “I’m not saying all [gay people are confused]. Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that’s them.”
As you can imagine, once the you-know-what hit the fan, it didn’t take long for the Wonder-man to start backtracking.
“No one has been a greater advocate for the power of love in this world than I; both in my life and in my music. Clearly, love is love, between a man and a woman, a woman and a man, a woman and a woman and a man and a man. What I’m not confused about is the world needing much more love, no hate, no prejudice, no bigotry and more unity, peace and understanding. Period.”
Interestingly, Frank Ocean’s debut album, Channel Orange, drew many comparisons to Stevie Wonder’s artistry. And even more interestingly, according to reports, Wonder sang the hook of “No Church in the Wild” to Ocean when they met backstage at a concert.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Woman Nearly Burned House Down Trying Something She Saw on Facebook
- Rapper Lil Boosie Says He Has Kidney Cancer
- Kim Zolciak Emotional in ‘DWTS’ Return Following Stroke
- Gap Band Family Feud! Ronnie Wilson Sues Charlie Wilson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here