*A man in Texas decided to make a statement against President Obama by hanging an empty chair from a tree in front of his Northwest Austin home.
A fold-up chair, with an American flag attached to it, was hung from a tree in front of Bud Johnson’s home in the Spicewood Estates area Wednesday night, and some neighbors complained that it was racist.
After the political blog burntorangereport.com first reported it, KEYE TV News tracked down Johnson for an interview. As reporter Lydia Pantazes and photojournalist Mario Pena arrived at his house Thursday morning, Johnson was taking down the chair and he advised Pantazes and Pena “to get the hell away.”
When Pantazes asked him why he hung the chair from the tree, he responded “Haven’t you heard of the Clint Eastwood thing with the empty chair?”
Johnson also said he’s not a racist and that he doesn’t dislike any race. In addition, he said the chair was not being “lynched.” When Pantazes asked why he had it hanging from the tree, he said the tree was “the only place I had to put the damn thing.”
Johnson then placed the chair on his lawn a few feet away from the tree.
Pantazes talked to a neighbor who told her that Johnson is an overall “good neighbor and a nice guy. He’s just a really conservative Republican.” The neighbor, who did not want to be identified, thought the issue was taken out of context.
Robert Stephenson, who also lives in the area, called the display “pretty racist,” and said there’s “no way you can take that the wrong way. …I’m glad he took it down. I just hope he don’t put it back up.”
Watch video of the entire incident here.
- Bobby Shmurda, Girlfriend Plead Not Guilty to New Weapons Charges
- After Five Seasons, ‘Key & Peele’ Ending Comedy Central Run
- Neo-Soul Duo Presents Annual ‘Kindred the Family Reunion’ in Philly
- Amber Rose Reacts to Trolls Who Criticize 'Slut Walk' Initiative
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here