*Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil, who just teamed on the Screen Gems remake “Sparkle” with Whitney Houston, have made a deal with Paramount Pictures for a new project with the working title “Abandonment Issues,” reports Deadline.com.
They’ll produce the project together, while Mara Brock Akil will write the script and Salim Akil will direct. The couple previously made their feature debut with the TriStar comedy “Jumping The Broom,” which opened tops at the box office and grossed over $40 million domestically.
The duo also created the TV series “The Game.” Last year’s season premiere scored 7.7 million viewers, making it the top rated ad supported sitcom in cable history.
The Akils have followed by making a multi-year development deal with BET to create original scripted series for the network. Next up is “Being Mary Jane,” which will star Gabrielle Union and is being written and executive produced by Mara Brock Akil, with Salim Akil directing.
- Black Women Fastest Growing Group of Entrepreneurs in U.S
- Once Homeless and Alone in NYC, Man Receives Yale Scholarship
- Rihanna’s BET Appearance Was Simply Marketing Trickery
- America: A Nation Under Sin or Love?
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here