*Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil, who just teamed on the Screen Gems remake “Sparkle” with Whitney Houston, have made a deal with Paramount Pictures for a new project with the working title “Abandonment Issues,” reports Deadline.com.
They’ll produce the project together, while Mara Brock Akil will write the script and Salim Akil will direct. The couple previously made their feature debut with the TriStar comedy “Jumping The Broom,” which opened tops at the box office and grossed over $40 million domestically.
The duo also created the TV series “The Game.” Last year’s season premiere scored 7.7 million viewers, making it the top rated ad supported sitcom in cable history.
The Akils have followed by making a multi-year development deal with BET to create original scripted series for the network. Next up is “Being Mary Jane,” which will star Gabrielle Union and is being written and executive produced by Mara Brock Akil, with Salim Akil directing.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Senator Oscar Braynon Presents 4th Choice Challenge
- THE (05-06-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton Are Tortured Souls in 'A Bigger Splash'
- Ashanti Produces New Film ('Mothers and Daughters') with Superstar Cast (Watch)
- Birdman on 'Respek' Trending & Confronting The Breakfast Club
- Report Says Percocet Found in Prince's System
- Rappers Arrested for Credit Card Fraud after Rapping about Crimes in Songs
- L. A. City Hall Salutes 'Prince' on Friday, May 6, (Open to Public FREE)
- Alicia Keys Drops New Single - Ellen's $10,000 Gift to Dance Crew (WATCH)
- Prince’s ‘Kiss’ Performed Randomly on Subway Just Days Before He Died (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here