*Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil, who just teamed on the Screen Gems remake “Sparkle” with Whitney Houston, have made a deal with Paramount Pictures for a new project with the working title “Abandonment Issues,” reports Deadline.com.
They’ll produce the project together, while Mara Brock Akil will write the script and Salim Akil will direct. The couple previously made their feature debut with the TriStar comedy “Jumping The Broom,” which opened tops at the box office and grossed over $40 million domestically.
The duo also created the TV series “The Game.” Last year’s season premiere scored 7.7 million viewers, making it the top rated ad supported sitcom in cable history.
The Akils have followed by making a multi-year development deal with BET to create original scripted series for the network. Next up is “Being Mary Jane,” which will star Gabrielle Union and is being written and executive produced by Mara Brock Akil, with Salim Akil directing.
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here