*Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil, who just teamed on the Screen Gems remake “Sparkle” with Whitney Houston, have made a deal with Paramount Pictures for a new project with the working title “Abandonment Issues,” reports Deadline.com.
They’ll produce the project together, while Mara Brock Akil will write the script and Salim Akil will direct. The couple previously made their feature debut with the TriStar comedy “Jumping The Broom,” which opened tops at the box office and grossed over $40 million domestically.
The duo also created the TV series “The Game.” Last year’s season premiere scored 7.7 million viewers, making it the top rated ad supported sitcom in cable history.
The Akils have followed by making a multi-year development deal with BET to create original scripted series for the network. Next up is “Being Mary Jane,” which will star Gabrielle Union and is being written and executive produced by Mara Brock Akil, with Salim Akil directing.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ebony Celebrates Black Power with Williams, Belafonte and Zendaya
- Boxer Yusaf Mack is Attracted to Transgenders; Inspired by Caitlyn Jenner
- Editorial: Instead of 'Is it Because I'm Black?' - Why Not, 'Is it Because You're White?'
- Whoa! This is T-Pain ... Performing Minus Auto Tune? (Watch/Listen)
- Dick Wolf: King of Crossovers Takes Chicago, Talks TV Dominance [EUR Exclusive]
- Jill Scott: ''Soul Train' Brought Soul Into Everyone’s House'
- Presenting Ice-T and Coco's New Baby: Chanel Nicole
- Black Teen Vlogger Renounces Conservatism; Laquan McDonald Killing Convinced Him
- Girls Want to Join the Boys Scouts of America
- Lil Boosie Rants Frustration with 'Gay Sh*t' On TV
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here