*In his latest posting at Time magazine, cultural/political pundit Touré writes that the reelection of President Obama would do more to create racial harmony in the U.S. than the president’s first election in 2008.
He goes on the say that if Obama is reelected after a whole term which has humanized him significantly from his first term, it would prove that an African American, even the President of the United States, longer has to be “twice as good” as the average white person to get ahead.
Touré says that the racial implications of Obama’s reelection would be powerful. Remember that in 2007, the Los Angeles Times described the now 44th president as a “magical” black man.
Now, however, after four years of governance and with his approval and favorability ratings having come down to earth, Obama’s reelection would signal that voters can see past his skin color and support him despite the fact that he is a fallible human being.
“For [Americans] to embrace a nonmagical black person who cannot promise anything but hope, intelligence, sweat and experience, now that comes closer to equality. Equality is freedom from having to be twice as good to get ahead,” Touré concludes.
Read/learn more at Time.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- 2 Cops in Freddie Gray Case File Defamation Suit Against Marilyn Mosby
- Report: Whoopi Goldberg Signs $2.5M, 1-Yr Deal With ‘The View’
- Spike Lee’s ESPN Mini Docs ‘Lil’ Joints’ Return on 5/31 (View Titles and Schedule)
- Lifetime to Air Uzo Aduba, Cicely Tyson Film ‘Showing Roots’ on Sat, May 26 (Trailer)
- ‘Empire’ Finishes No 1 in Black Households, Social Media and Other Key Demos
- Therez Fleetwood's 'Men and Intimacy: Real Talk... Real Answers' Reveals Answers to What Men Want
- First Look: Rihanna’s New Line of Star Trek-Inspired Dior Sunglasses
- Opinion: How Democratic Superdelegates decided the 2016 Election
- Prince’s Fam Requests Revolution Start Reunion Tour AFTER August Memorial Event
- Judge Favors Chris Brown in Baby Mama’s Attempt to Restrict Custody
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here