*A student at Maryland’s Towson University intends to submit a proposal seeking to start a “White Student Union” on campus, reports WJZ. [Click here for the video.]
Student Matthew Heimbach told the school’s newspaper that white students deserve an exclusive club only for them. He is photographed in the paper holding a Confederate flag in front of Martin Luther King Jr.’s church in Montgomery, Ala. He says: “We want to replicate what every student union does on campus.”
In the article, Heimbach argues there is a Black Student Union that promotes their heroes, and he wants to do the same.
This isn’t Heimbach’s first attempt to start a controversial group. He succeeded before with Youth for Western Civilization. The group gained negative attention after messages of white pride were written in chalk across campus.
“We want to be able to promote on campus for students who want to be proud of their heritage and the foundations of this country and stand up for themselves,” Heimbach said of the Youth for Western Civilization.
Richard Vatz, a communications professor at Towson University, resigned as adviser for that group, saying just because the name changes, the principles don’t.
“When you have a group that calls themselves the White Student Union, their only purpose is generally hostility towards those who are non-white,” Vatz.
Right now, no application is on file with the university to start the White Student Union. If it is discriminatory, it will not be approved.
“If inclusiveness is not the plan, then it will not be recognized by the Student Government Association,” Dr. Teri Hall, vice president of Student Affairs at Towson University, said.
In the college newspaper, Heimbach says 17 students have an interest in joining the White Student Union.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR Exclusive First Look Clip: Robert Townsend's 'Playin' for Love'
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here