*A student at Maryland’s Towson University intends to submit a proposal seeking to start a “White Student Union” on campus, reports WJZ. [Click here for the video.]
Student Matthew Heimbach told the school’s newspaper that white students deserve an exclusive club only for them. He is photographed in the paper holding a Confederate flag in front of Martin Luther King Jr.’s church in Montgomery, Ala. He says: “We want to replicate what every student union does on campus.”
In the article, Heimbach argues there is a Black Student Union that promotes their heroes, and he wants to do the same.
This isn’t Heimbach’s first attempt to start a controversial group. He succeeded before with Youth for Western Civilization. The group gained negative attention after messages of white pride were written in chalk across campus.
“We want to be able to promote on campus for students who want to be proud of their heritage and the foundations of this country and stand up for themselves,” Heimbach said of the Youth for Western Civilization.
Richard Vatz, a communications professor at Towson University, resigned as adviser for that group, saying just because the name changes, the principles don’t.
“When you have a group that calls themselves the White Student Union, their only purpose is generally hostility towards those who are non-white,” Vatz.
Right now, no application is on file with the university to start the White Student Union. If it is discriminatory, it will not be approved.
“If inclusiveness is not the plan, then it will not be recognized by the Student Government Association,” Dr. Teri Hall, vice president of Student Affairs at Towson University, said.
In the college newspaper, Heimbach says 17 students have an interest in joining the White Student Union.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Chris Brown’s Long Suffering Publicist Quits After He Curses Her Out
- Man 'Pulls Penis Out' to Scan on Self-Service Tray (Yes, He's in Jail)
- Pres. Obama Tries to Name Everyone Who Died on ‘Game of Thrones' - For a Good Cause (Watch)
- Sheila E on Her Prince Tribute for BET and its Emotional Toll
- BET’s Debra Lee on Jesse Williams, D’Angelo’s Absence, Electrocution Concerns for Beyonce, More
- Ludacris to Play Guantanamo Bay on Fourth of July
- Beyoncé's Mama Responds to Those Hating on Bey for Leaving BET Awards
- 2016 BET Awards See Spike in Viewership
- 4 Upgrades to Catch the Eye of Luxury Homebuyers
- The Journal of Steffanie Rivers: Dogs Bark, Sharks Attack, And Alligators Eat People
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here