*A student at Maryland’s Towson University intends to submit a proposal seeking to start a “White Student Union” on campus, reports WJZ. [Click here for the video.]
Student Matthew Heimbach told the school’s newspaper that white students deserve an exclusive club only for them. He is photographed in the paper holding a Confederate flag in front of Martin Luther King Jr.’s church in Montgomery, Ala. He says: “We want to replicate what every student union does on campus.”
In the article, Heimbach argues there is a Black Student Union that promotes their heroes, and he wants to do the same.
This isn’t Heimbach’s first attempt to start a controversial group. He succeeded before with Youth for Western Civilization. The group gained negative attention after messages of white pride were written in chalk across campus.
“We want to be able to promote on campus for students who want to be proud of their heritage and the foundations of this country and stand up for themselves,” Heimbach said of the Youth for Western Civilization.
Richard Vatz, a communications professor at Towson University, resigned as adviser for that group, saying just because the name changes, the principles don’t.
“When you have a group that calls themselves the White Student Union, their only purpose is generally hostility towards those who are non-white,” Vatz.
Right now, no application is on file with the university to start the White Student Union. If it is discriminatory, it will not be approved.
“If inclusiveness is not the plan, then it will not be recognized by the Student Government Association,” Dr. Teri Hall, vice president of Student Affairs at Towson University, said.
In the college newspaper, Heimbach says 17 students have an interest in joining the White Student Union.
- Man Breaks Down After Recognizing Judge As Former Classmate (WATCH)
- Patty Farmer's 'Playboy Swings' Releases in September
- Thriller: Sanaa, Ealy & Chestnut in Trailer for 'The Perfect Guy' (WATCH)
- Tyra Banks Rants About Industry Pressure on New Models
- Uzo Aduba Stuns 'The View' Cast with Her Operatic Voice (WATCH)
- Antonio Fargas Gives Props to Rihanna for 'BBHMM'
- Announcing the Luther Vandross Estate's 'Power of Love Experience'
- Google Apologizes for App that Calls Black People 'Gorillas'
- Warren Sapp Might Be Going to Jail for Breaking Plea Deal
- Sizzling Summer Movies Heat Up Box Office
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here