*The Science channel is teaming with Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am to premiere the new special “i.am.mars: Reach For The Stars.”
The program, to debut Wednesday, Sept. 19 at 10 p.m., features will.i.am as he creates the single “Reach for the Stars,” which became the first song to be broadcast back to Earth from the Mars landing of NASA’s Curiosity spacecraft.
“Ever since I was a child, I have been obsessed with space travel, so hearing ‘Reach for the Stars’ broadcast back to Earth from Mars was one of the great thrills of my life,” says will.i.am.
Science channel general manager and executive vice president Debbie Myers first met will.i.am when both were invited by NASA to watch the Curiosity landing at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Canada Flintridge, Calif. The singer told Myers that he was a fan of the cable network, and told her about “Reach for the Stars” and a behind-the-scenes documentary he was shooting with the help of NASA.
“We watched the landing together and talked about it, and quickly started to work together,” Myers says. “We hooked him up with a writer and producer who worked with him and shot the last set of interviews.”
The special will follow the recording of the song, including the inclusion of a full children’s choir and orchestra, and also show how NASA engineered a song upload to Curiosity.
Myers says she hopes this is the beginning of a long-term relationship with will.i.am (who is an executive producer on the special). “What I loved about him was the first thing he said to me was, ‘I love your network, but you need to reach an urban audience,'” she says. “We will be working together to collaborate on other passion projects he has. I love what he stands for. He has a passion for kids, science, and robotics. He makes it more relatable.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dencia Drags MLK into Skin Whitening War with LisaRaye (WATCH)
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here