*Jay-Z ‘s Brooklyn Nets are looking to change the game – both on the court and during halftime.
The team has revealed that stretch leather, boots, studded fingerless gloves, zippers and latex will be part of the uniforms worn by the Brooklynette dancers, who will perform between halves at the Barclays Center during Brooklyn Nets games.
“The uniforms are feminine and strong,” said the costumes’ designer, David Dalrymple, who has worked with fashion icon Patricia Field for decades, collaborating on costumes for “Sex and the City” and “The Devil Wears Prada.”
“This isn’t palm trees and sunshine. It’s New York City, and it’s Brooklyn. It’s a different sensibility. We go hard,” the designer added.
Dalrymple, 45, had designed the red and blue costumes for the Nets dancers in New Jersey and was hired to give the outfits an edgy makeover to commemorate the team’s move to Brooklyn, reports the New York Post. Seven different looks are in the Brooklynettes’ arsenal.
“They have a jumpsuit, a neoprene scuba blazer with sequin leggings, a little cropped warm-up jacket, and painted sequin leggings,” Dalrymple said.
The squad of 20 dancers will debut its wardrobe when the Nets preseason begins next month. The Nets regular-season opener, against the Knicks, is at the Barclays Center on Nov. 1.
“I do a lot of clothes for people in music,” said Dalrymple, who has designed costumes for Beyoncé and Mary J. Blige as well as the famous nude diamond-adorned body suit Britney Spears wore on stage at the MTV Music Awards in 2000.
“My look is very pop star, or for the person who feels like a pop star,” he said.
“For these costumes, we needed things that these women can dance and move in, but we wanted to bring in street elements. We needed to find that bridge of street fashion that can actually work on the court.”
- Raven-Symoné Co-signs Oprah: 'Black Twitter Hates Me'
- Walmart Denies Customer Confederate Flag Cake, OK's ISIS Cake in Error (Video)
- Michael Sam Ends Six-Month Engagement With Fiancé
- 'UnSung Revisited' Debuts Tonight with Full Force & Paul Anthony
- Kem: 25 Years of Sobriety, Opens Up on Overcoming Drug Addiction
- Bree Newsome Reveals Reason Behind Removing the Confederate Flag
- LA Mayor Garcetti Finally Agrees to Meet with Black Lives Matter Activists (Dramatic Video)
- Compton Mayor Invites Submissions for 'Compton Champions' Awards
- THE (07-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Photos: Usher and Miguel Host 5th Post BET Awards Party [Look: Photo Gallery]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here