*Jay-Z ‘s Brooklyn Nets are looking to change the game – both on the court and during halftime.
The team has revealed that stretch leather, boots, studded fingerless gloves, zippers and latex will be part of the uniforms worn by the Brooklynette dancers, who will perform between halves at the Barclays Center during Brooklyn Nets games.
“The uniforms are feminine and strong,” said the costumes’ designer, David Dalrymple, who has worked with fashion icon Patricia Field for decades, collaborating on costumes for “Sex and the City” and “The Devil Wears Prada.”
“This isn’t palm trees and sunshine. It’s New York City, and it’s Brooklyn. It’s a different sensibility. We go hard,” the designer added.
Dalrymple, 45, had designed the red and blue costumes for the Nets dancers in New Jersey and was hired to give the outfits an edgy makeover to commemorate the team’s move to Brooklyn, reports the New York Post. Seven different looks are in the Brooklynettes’ arsenal.
“They have a jumpsuit, a neoprene scuba blazer with sequin leggings, a little cropped warm-up jacket, and painted sequin leggings,” Dalrymple said.
The squad of 20 dancers will debut its wardrobe when the Nets preseason begins next month. The Nets regular-season opener, against the Knicks, is at the Barclays Center on Nov. 1.
“I do a lot of clothes for people in music,” said Dalrymple, who has designed costumes for Beyoncé and Mary J. Blige as well as the famous nude diamond-adorned body suit Britney Spears wore on stage at the MTV Music Awards in 2000.
“My look is very pop star, or for the person who feels like a pop star,” he said.
“For these costumes, we needed things that these women can dance and move in, but we wanted to bring in street elements. We needed to find that bridge of street fashion that can actually work on the court.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Dencia Drags MLK into Skin Whitening War with LisaRaye (WATCH)
- Is Jada Pinkett Smith on Her Way Back to ‘Gotham’?
- Judge Gives 20 Min Speech to Racist Cop Caught Beating Unarmed Black Man (Watch)
- Kalenna, Star of 'Love and Hip Hop' to Mingle With Fans
- The Case of Bobbi Kristina Brown 'Still Open and Under Investigation'
- Beyonce Drops 'Formation' A New Song & Video (Watch)
- TV One Boldly Launches New Brand Identity 'Represent'
- Bounce TV's Black History Month Tributes a Stirring Line-up
- Pantene Enlists NFL Players for Dad and Daughter Hair Campaign [WATCH]
- The Complete List of Winners from the 47th NAACP Image Awards
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here