*Defense lawyers are seeking the school records of Trayvon Martin, the teenager shot to death earlier this year by George Zimmerman in a confrontation at a gated community in Florida, reports the Los Angeles Times. Zimmerman is facing a second-degree murder charge in the case.
In a post on the defense website, Zimmerman’s lawyers said they have sent subpoenas to schools attended by Martin, 17, who was killed Feb. 26. Zimmerman has maintained that he shot the unarmed Martin in self-defense.
“Our first request is a series of Subpoenas for Production of Documents requesting school records for Trayvon Martin,’’ according to the post by the law firm of Mark O’Mara, who represents Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer. The defense is also seeking posts by Martin on social media sites. Among the documents being sought are school discipline and suspension records.
At the time of the shooting, Martin was under suspension from the Miami-Dade County school system because of traces of marijuana found in his book bag.
Ben Crump, the attorney for the Martin family, denounced the subpoenas as a “witch hunt to try to assault [Martin’s] character.”
“None of those things that are being subpoenaed is relevant to why Zimmerman profiled and pursued Trayvon and shot him in the heart,” Crump told the Orlando Sentinel.
Martin had other suspensions as well, including one for defacing a school door. Women’s jewelry and a screwdriver were also found in Martin’s book bag, according to the Miami Herald, but no action was taken for those items, the newspaper said.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Kim Zolciak Emotional in ‘DWTS’ Return Following Stroke
- Tracy Morgan Says God Spoke to Him After Crash: ‘I Went to the Other Side’
- Mariah Carey Celebrates Christmas, Talks Motherhood/Co-Parenting with Steve Harvey
- Ex Cowboys RB Joseph Randle Arrested at Kansas Casino
- Vain or Not? Diddy Stays Youthful With Wrinkle-Free Method (Watch)
- ‘Creed’s Ryan Coogler and Tessa Thompson Reveal Their Favorite ‘Rocky’ Film
- Court Denies Sherri Shepherd’s Appeal to Stop Child Support Payments
- St. Louis Rams Receiver Stedman Baily Shot Twice in the Head
- Yuck Factor :( Guess Where This Woman Got the Yeast to Make Sourdough Bread?
- Will Smith on 20 Year Marriage to Jada: 'Grueling, Excruciating' (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here