*Defense lawyers are seeking the school records of Trayvon Martin, the teenager shot to death earlier this year by George Zimmerman in a confrontation at a gated community in Florida, reports the Los Angeles Times. Zimmerman is facing a second-degree murder charge in the case.
In a post on the defense website, Zimmerman’s lawyers said they have sent subpoenas to schools attended by Martin, 17, who was killed Feb. 26. Zimmerman has maintained that he shot the unarmed Martin in self-defense.
“Our first request is a series of Subpoenas for Production of Documents requesting school records for Trayvon Martin,’’ according to the post by the law firm of Mark O’Mara, who represents Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer. The defense is also seeking posts by Martin on social media sites. Among the documents being sought are school discipline and suspension records.
At the time of the shooting, Martin was under suspension from the Miami-Dade County school system because of traces of marijuana found in his book bag.
Ben Crump, the attorney for the Martin family, denounced the subpoenas as a “witch hunt to try to assault [Martin’s] character.”
“None of those things that are being subpoenaed is relevant to why Zimmerman profiled and pursued Trayvon and shot him in the heart,” Crump told the Orlando Sentinel.
Martin had other suspensions as well, including one for defacing a school door. Women’s jewelry and a screwdriver were also found in Martin’s book bag, according to the Miami Herald, but no action was taken for those items, the newspaper said.
- Byron Jackson Brings 'DeSean Jackson: Home Team' to BET (WATCH)
- Diddy May Catch Break in UCLA Case, but Could Lose Liquor License
- Ava DuVernay References 'Black Panther' in Support of Bree Newsome
- S.C. Legislature Has Votes to Remove Confederate Flag; KKK to Rally at Statehouse
- NBC Wants Minority Host to Replace Trump on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’?
- Seahawks WR Doug Baldwin Goes Viral with Anti-Confederate Flag Post
- Report: Tyga Fails to Pay 50K Offered to Squash Underage Sexual Battery Lawsuit
- Lee Daniels Signs Overall Deal with 20th Century Fox TV
- Brittney Griner’s Ex Glory Johnson Reveals She’s Having Twins
- NBC Fires Donald Trump Over Racist Comments
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here