*Sherman Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas on July 24 and has yet to be laid to rest.
The holdup, according to Reuters, is coming from the beneficiaries of his will, as well as questions about his exact cause of death.
A worker at the Eastside location of the San Jose Funeral Home in El Paso, Texas confirmed to FOX411’s Pop Tarts column that Hemsley was still at the home, and that they were waiting for a court order telling them what to do with his body.
It was revealed in August that Hemsley’s body had not been buried amid a legal dispute between his former manager and self-proclaimed business partner and live-in best friend Flora Enchinton – who was named as the sole beneficiary in his will – and a Philadelphia man, Richard Thornton, who claims to be the actor’s brother. Thornton filed a civil lawsuit disputing the validity of the will, signed by Hemsley one month prior to his death.
Hemsley had said in media interviews that he was an only child. His estate is reportedly valued at $50,000.
On September 24, Probate Court judge Patricia Chew delayed the trial over the actor’s estate and remains — which had been scheduled for the following Monday — to October 31, and ordered the man who claims to be Hemsley’s brother to undergo a DNA test. Thornton’s nephew Robert Thornton took the stand in support of his Uncle’s allegation, and also questioned the authenticity of the signature on the will, which left everything to Enchinton, saying it “looked like tracing.”
Meanwhile, a third person has since come forward amid the battle over Hemsley’s estate, vowing to intervene on the issue prior to the October 31st bench trial date.
“There is only one person in the world who I believe Sherman would call a sister, and that is my mother,” Reverend Michael George Wells, a minister at Arch Street United Methodist Church – who claims to be a cousin on Hemsley’s mother’s side – told the El Paso Times, adding that he believes Enchinton was not close to Sherman and that the Thorntons were not related to the late actor. “We are family, and we are not looking for money. But if we are entitled to something, we don’t want anyone else to have it,” he told The Times.
Read more here.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- LTC Eddie Smith Congratulates 100 Black Men Mentee of the Year
- THE (06-27-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 2016 BET Awards Winners List
- 50 Cent Arrested in St. Kitts for Using Dirty Word in Show
- TV One Sets Original Film ‘Bad Dad Rehab’ for July Premiere (EUR Exclusive)
- Montell Jordan Releases New Memoir & Returns To R&B
- Frank Ocean Pens Open Letter On Orlando Massacre
- Steve Harvey’s Mentorship Program Empowers 220 Fatherless Males
- Michelle Obama and Daughters Sasha, Malia Head to Africa
- The Story Behind Jill Scott's Surprise Marriage (VIDEOS)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here