Chief Ralph Godbee, the man in charge of policing a city with one of the nation’s highest violent crime rates stepped down amid a sex scandal surrounding his alleged relationship with a subordinate female police officer and an investigation into whether he used police resources to spy on her, reports The Detroit News.
Chief Godbee’s retirement is the latest controversy entangling the Detroit Police Department, already reeling from massive budget cuts, low morale and instability at the top.
“It hurts me a great deal it has come to this,” said Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, who has had three police chiefs during his 31/2-year tenure. “I told him what my expectations were. He didn’t live up to those expectations.”
Bing made the remarks and vowed to implement a citywide policy barring fraternization between bosses and their employees during a Monday press conference at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. The mayor added there was no need to fire Godbee over the scandal because the chief “made the decision … and that was the end of the conversation.”
Bing, joined by Interim Police Chief Chester Logan, said investigators will look into reports Godbee used a special police surveillance unit to check on Internal Affairs Officer Angelica Robinson — who reportedly had been dating Godbee for about a year — at her Farmington Hills home.
“We internally are not investigating,” said Bing of the outside probe.
Logan added: “I don’t want to say who will be investigating, but there will be an investigation.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Rihanna Talks Casual Sex, Rachel Dolezal, Wanting to Change Chris Brown
- Health: You Could Possibly Have A Hidden Illness if Any of These Symptoms Show Up
- 27 Bill Cosby Accusers Set for NBC ‘Dateline’ Special (Watch)
- Tamar Braxton Taps Husband Vince for Emotional 'DWTS' Routine (Watch)
- F. Gary Gray in Talks to Direct ‘Fast and Furious 8’
- Wendy Williams Wants Terrence Howard Off 'Empire'; He Responds
- EUR On the Scene: The 18th Annual First Ladies High Tea (WATCH)
- Iyanla Vanzant Gets Real as Woman Confronts Gay Pastor Husband
- Memo to Publisher McGraw-Hill: 'Slaves' Were Not 'Workers' (Watch)
- Tupac Planned to Kill ‘Thug Life’ Via 'Thug Life is Dead' Letter
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here