Chief Ralph Godbee, the man in charge of policing a city with one of the nation’s highest violent crime rates stepped down amid a sex scandal surrounding his alleged relationship with a subordinate female police officer and an investigation into whether he used police resources to spy on her, reports The Detroit News.
Chief Godbee’s retirement is the latest controversy entangling the Detroit Police Department, already reeling from massive budget cuts, low morale and instability at the top.
“It hurts me a great deal it has come to this,” said Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, who has had three police chiefs during his 31/2-year tenure. “I told him what my expectations were. He didn’t live up to those expectations.”
Bing made the remarks and vowed to implement a citywide policy barring fraternization between bosses and their employees during a Monday press conference at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. The mayor added there was no need to fire Godbee over the scandal because the chief “made the decision … and that was the end of the conversation.”
Bing, joined by Interim Police Chief Chester Logan, said investigators will look into reports Godbee used a special police surveillance unit to check on Internal Affairs Officer Angelica Robinson — who reportedly had been dating Godbee for about a year — at her Farmington Hills home.
“We internally are not investigating,” said Bing of the outside probe.
Logan added: “I don’t want to say who will be investigating, but there will be an investigation.”
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'The Martian': 'Love Letter to Science' -- Matt Damon
- The Film Strip: New York Comic Con Tickets Going Fast
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts & Boyfriend Sentenced
- Shocking! How BGF Members Made $20K a Month in Jail
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here