Chief Ralph Godbee, the man in charge of policing a city with one of the nation’s highest violent crime rates stepped down amid a sex scandal surrounding his alleged relationship with a subordinate female police officer and an investigation into whether he used police resources to spy on her, reports The Detroit News.
Chief Godbee’s retirement is the latest controversy entangling the Detroit Police Department, already reeling from massive budget cuts, low morale and instability at the top.
“It hurts me a great deal it has come to this,” said Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, who has had three police chiefs during his 31/2-year tenure. “I told him what my expectations were. He didn’t live up to those expectations.”
Bing made the remarks and vowed to implement a citywide policy barring fraternization between bosses and their employees during a Monday press conference at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. The mayor added there was no need to fire Godbee over the scandal because the chief “made the decision … and that was the end of the conversation.”
Bing, joined by Interim Police Chief Chester Logan, said investigators will look into reports Godbee used a special police surveillance unit to check on Internal Affairs Officer Angelica Robinson — who reportedly had been dating Godbee for about a year — at her Farmington Hills home.
“We internally are not investigating,” said Bing of the outside probe.
Logan added: “I don’t want to say who will be investigating, but there will be an investigation.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Khloe Kardashian Not Spending Thanksgiving With Lamar Odom
- Gonna Fly Now: ‘Creed’ Sets Pre-Thanksgiving Record with $1.4M Box Office
- Black Student Criticizes WWU For Ignoring Racist Threats Against Her
- EUR on Set with 'Rosewood's' Morris Chestnut & Taye Diggs WATCH)
- Greg Hardy Cancels Thanksgiving Nightclub Gig Over ‘Public Image’?
- South African Girl in Chris Rock’s Family Here On ‘Visitor Visa’
- Woman Nearly Burned House Down Trying Something She Saw on Facebook
- Rapper Lil Boosie Says He Has Kidney Cancer
- Kim Zolciak Emotional in ‘DWTS’ Return Following Stroke
- Gap Band Family Feud! Ronnie Wilson Sues Charlie Wilson
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here