*Singer-songwriter Ester Dean, a member of Jay-Z’s Roc Nation, says there’s a reason why she was picked to play a lesbian college student and lone African American recruited into an all-women’s a cappella group in the film “Pitch Perfect.”
“I fit the character, like super-urban,” said the straight actress during interviews for the movie, which is currently in theaters. But it wasn’t just her street attitude that wooed producers.
“I just have to say, I can look butch sometimes,” she continued. “I really appreciate that because it got me the part. I now appreciate my manly shoulders.”
Before becoming a member of The Bellas in “Pitch Perfect,” Dean, 26, has quietly been in beast mode in the music industry, either writing or co-writing hit records for the likes of Katy Perry, Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Monica, Keri Hilson, Keyshia Cole, Kelly Rowland, Trey Songz, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige and even “American Idol’s” country-singing champ Scotty McCreery.
While working on her own album, Dean co-wrote “Super Bass” for Nicki Minaj’s debut album “Pink Friday.” The year before, she put her rich sandpaper vocals on a single of her own, “Drop It Low” feat. Chris Brown. The track peaked at number 38 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, becoming her first US Top 40 single, and her self-titled debut album is finally set to follow later this year on Interscope Records.
With all of this talent, one would think that Dean was deep into the musical theater scene at her Omaha, Nebraska high school. But that was not the case.
“It was a ghetto school, nobody cared,” she cracked in her response below. [Warning: Strong Language.]
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- 'Carol' Explores Lesbian Love in the 50s
- Uzo Aduba: 'Bigger, Higher and Braver,' Thanks to Queen Latifah
- Mystery Collector Buys Wu-Tang's Album for Millions / Usher's #Eggplant Confession
- The Rise, Fall and Legacy of Berry Gordy's Motown Returns to Broadway
- Kobe Bryant Announces Retirement Via Poem: 'Dear Basketball'
- Holly Holm Asks Beyoncé ‘What’s Your Name?’ in Awkward Vegas Moment
- EUR on the Scene: 'The Wiz Live!' [WATCH]
- Yaya DaCosta Files for Divorce After Two Years of Marriage
- Dennis Rodman Sued for Stiffing Company Out of $28k
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here