*Singer-songwriter Ester Dean, a member of Jay-Z’s Roc Nation, says there’s a reason why she was picked to play a lesbian college student and lone African American recruited into an all-women’s a cappella group in the film “Pitch Perfect.”
“I fit the character, like super-urban,” said the straight actress during interviews for the movie, which is currently in theaters. But it wasn’t just her street attitude that wooed producers.
“I just have to say, I can look butch sometimes,” she continued. “I really appreciate that because it got me the part. I now appreciate my manly shoulders.”
Before becoming a member of The Bellas in “Pitch Perfect,” Dean, 26, has quietly been in beast mode in the music industry, either writing or co-writing hit records for the likes of Katy Perry, Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Monica, Keri Hilson, Keyshia Cole, Kelly Rowland, Trey Songz, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige and even “American Idol’s” country-singing champ Scotty McCreery.
While working on her own album, Dean co-wrote “Super Bass” for Nicki Minaj’s debut album “Pink Friday.” The year before, she put her rich sandpaper vocals on a single of her own, “Drop It Low” feat. Chris Brown. The track peaked at number 38 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, becoming her first US Top 40 single, and her self-titled debut album is finally set to follow later this year on Interscope Records.
With all of this talent, one would think that Dean was deep into the musical theater scene at her Omaha, Nebraska high school. But that was not the case.
“It was a ghetto school, nobody cared,” she cracked in her response below. [Warning: Strong Language.]
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lil Wayne Says Birdman Stiffed Drake, Nicki Minaj Out of Money
- Cosmo Blasted for Declaring Kardashians 'America's First Family'
- TV One to Re-Air Original ‘Roots’; Louis Gossett Jr. Reminisces: ‘We Stopped the World’
- Parents of Bullied Boy Who Committed Suicide, Sue Florida School District
- Debbi Morgan to Play Toni Braxton’s Mom Evelyn in Lifetime Biopic; Full Cast Announced
- Wanda Sykes Cast in ABC's ‘Black-ish’, Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Gabrielle Union to Star in ‘A Meyers Christmas’ for Universal
- Matt Barnes Still Swears He Had Something With Rihanna: ‘I’m Too Grown to Lie’
- Damien Sneed Performs During International Breast Cancer Awareness Week in Spain
- Bobby Shurmda Denied Bail, Will Stay in Jail Until Feb Trial Date
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here