No, this year we all get to enjoy a real powerhouse. The great Beyonce is going to be taking the stage at halftime.
This is great news, because the halftime show is always a hit-or-miss – an entertaining must-see at best, a water-cooler hot-topic disaster at the worst. Beyonce should fall squarely into the must-see category. Hey, she might even be better than the game itself.
So, with visions of halftime in February 2013 dancing in our heads, we’ve compiled our list of the five best – and the five worst – Superbowl halftime shows of all time.
– Prince (2007) – Prince’s halftime show was a true reflection of his persona – wacky, unpredictable, and completely awesome. Throwing in bits of Hendrix and Foo Fighters? Don’t ever stop, Prince.
– U2 (2002) – U2’s compelling performance was a cathartic, emotional triumph for the band – and the country – in the wake of the 9/11 attacks. A decade later, and their still unforgettable.
– Bruce Springsteen (2009) – This is how you do a halftime show. The aging rock n’ roll veteran sung and played with the energy and vigor of a man half his age, one of the best parts of a fantastic Superbowl game.
– Michael Jackson (1993) – Sadly, Jackson’s show-stopping 1993 performance was one of his final true spotlight moments before his sad tabloid-fodder descent.
– Diana Ross (1996) – Sure, the love-themed halftime show was kind of a weird juxtaposition with the violent game on the field – but the lovely Diana could still bring it.
– Janet Jackson, P. Diddy, Nelly and Justin Timberlake (2004) – Ah, the year of the immortal “wardrobe malfunction.” Not only did this disaster prompt one of the biggest right-wing overreactions in history, it also took away from the fact that this was one of the greatest Superbowls ever – with Tom Brady leading another come-from-behind Patriots win.
– The Who (2010) – The English band had gone far past their use-by date when they took the stage in 2010, with poor old Roger Daltrey practically losing an eyeball trying to hit the high notes.
– The Black Eyed Peas (2011) – Ugh. Weren’t they a relevant band once? The Peas took the stage in Texas and regurgitated their trademark brand of electronic-infused junk – complete with a nails-on-the-chalkboard out-of-tune Fergie – dressed in some sort of bizarre astronaut S&M costumes. Watch, if you dare.
– New Kids on the Block (1991) – They were New Kids on the Block, and they performed. That’s enough for them to make the “worst” list.
– Indiana Jones / Miami Sound Machine (1995) – Some type of bizarre Indiana Jones stage show mashed up with the music of Miami Sound Machine. It was even worse than it sounded.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Khloe Kardashian Joins OkCupid After Split From James Harden
- LeSean McCoy: Video of Club Brawl With Off Duty Cops (Watch)
- DMX Hospitalized After Discovered Unconscious at Hotel
- Red Lobster Sales and Social Media Soar Since Beyonce’s ‘Formation’
- EUR Celebrates Black History Month - From AFRICAN SKETCHBOOK to OUR ROOTS
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here