Jackson’s attorney sent a scathing letter to the magazine demanding a retraction of an article in the November 2012 issue, according to Us Weekly.
The magazine article, which is an excerpt from Randall Sullivan’s upcoming book, “Untouchable: The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson,” claims Janet, 46, delayed her brother Michael Jackson’s funeral until she was reimbursed for her $40,000 deposit to secure his plot.
Janet’s attorney, Blair G. Brown, addressed a legal letter to Vanity Fair’s Editor-in-Chief Graydon Carter saying the story is “false and defamatory.”
“Ms. Jackson never delayed the funeral in anyway,” Brown wrote in the letter dated Oct. 5, obtained by Us Weekly. “In fact, she paid for the funeral and was reimbursed for some of those expenses by Michael Jackson’s estate in the year after the services took place.”
“In addition, there were other private costs associated with Michael Jackson’s passing that Ms. Jackson incurred and for which she has never sought reimbursement,” he added. “To falsely accuse Ms. Jackson of holding up her brother’s funeral over money is outrageous. This story is particularly hurtful and distressing because of Ms. Jackson’s strong desire to serve her brother, whom she loved dearly, and he wish to stand with and support her family.”
“I demand that Vanity Fair retract its statement that Ms. Jackson ‘refused’ to let Michael Jackson’s funeral take place until the money she put down as a deposition on his burial plot was repaid,” Brown wrote. “To the extend that this statement appears in excerpts of Untouchable published in Vanity Fair’s November 2012 issue, I demand that Vanity Fair publish a retraction explaining that the statement is false.”
Read/learn more at Us Weekly.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Monica Forgives Shannon, Philly Pushers Approve of Steph Curry
- John McCain’s Son Rips Old Navy’s Racist Trolls With Wife Pics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shares Personal Memories of Tupac’s Mom, Afeni Shakur
- Dwyane Wade Emotional After Learning He Was Prince’s Favorite Player
- A Legendary Night in Los Angeles with the Ojays' Eddie Levert
- Prince’s Half-Brother Alfred Says Sibling Trying to Get Him Declared Mentally Incompetent
- Family of Autistic Teen Mocked by 50 Cent Wants $1 Million (Watch)
- Lupita Nyong’o, Danielle Brooks, Cynthia Erivo Lock Down Tony Nominations
- Amber Rose to Host Weekly VH1 Talk Show Produced by Dr. Phil
- Tupac Shakur's Mother Afeni Shakur-Davis Dies at 69
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here