*After weeks of rumors, Fox confirmed Tuesday that “Extra” host Mario Lopez and reality star Khloe Kardashian Odom will indeed host the second season of “The X Factor.” However, TMZ is reporting that Khloe’s deal was on the brink of collapse until her “momager” stepped in to save it.
According to sources who spoke with TMZ, negotiations ground to a halt after E! – the home of Khloe’s reality show – and Fox failed to work out a deal for her to appear on both networks. She has long been associated with the E! brand and the network was concerned they would lose her to Fox. That’s when her mother/manager Kris Jenner got involved in the talks and, according to TMZ, “stepped in over the agents, over everyone” and forced both networks to sit down with her and thrash out a deal. A source said of her actions: “She just knows how to make sh*t happen.”
In any case, the network has officially announced that Khloe and Mario Lopez will begin hosting the show during its live broadcasts next month.
“The worst kept secret in Hollywood is out,” said “X Factor” creator and judge Simon Cowell in the statement. “Mario and Khloe are our hosts. They will debut on our first live show in November, and I couldn’t be happier.”
British television personality Steve Jones served as the sole host for the first season of the U.S. edition of the show.
The addition of Lopez and Kardashian is the latest shift for the underperforming singing contest. Britney Spears and Demi Lovato joined Cowell and L.A. Reid on “The X Factor” judging panel at the start of the second season. The pair replaced Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger.
The current second season of “X Factor” is earning solid ratings for Fox, but NBC’s “The Voice” continues to perform better. Last week, 12.55 million people watched “The Voice,” while “X Factor” was seen by 9.71 million, according to the Nielsen Co.