*Former boxing champ Mike Tyson is no longer allowed into New Zealand.
Officials at the country’s Immigration Service have reversed their decision to grant Tyson entry into the country, where he had hoped to stage his one-man show for charity next month.
The decision came after a benefactor at New Zealand’s Life Education Trust charity withdrew a letter of support for Tyson, reports WENN.
Associate Immigration Minister Kate Wilkinson explains, “Yesterday evening the Life Education Trust contacted my office and asked for that letter to be withdrawn, making it clear that the Trust no longer wants to have any involvement with Mr. Tyson’s visit.
“Given that the Trust is no longer supporting the event, on balance, I have made the decision to cancel his visa to enter New Zealand.”
Max Markson, the promoter for Tyson’s planned one-off performance in Auckland, says authorities should overlook his 1992 rape conviction.
“It would be a tragedy if Mike Tyson could not come to New Zealand to do his show,” Markson tells the New Zealand Herald. “We’ll see if we can get a visa issued again… He’s a vegan, he’s sober, he’s a great role model about how man can turn his life around and I’m sure there’s worse people walking the streets in New Zealand today than Mike Tyson will be in the 20 hours he is here, hopefully, with his wife, his children.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Baltimore Rapper Lor Scoota Fatally Shot Leaving ‘Peace in the Streets’ Charity Hoops Game
- Steve Harvey Speechless when Kellie Pickler Almost Falls Trying to Buzz In on ‘Family Feud’ (Watch)
- Suge Knight Sues Chris Brown over Miami Club Shooting
- Maya Angelou Doc ‘And Still I Rise’ Wins AFI Docs Audience Award (Watch a Clip)
- Toni Braxton and Birdman Cozy at the 2016 BET Awards
- Lil Wayne Wanted for Questioning in Scuffle at BET Awards After-Party
- Usher No Likey The Donald: Wears ‘Don’t Trump America’ Jacket
- Venus Williams Wins First Round Match at Wimbledon (Pics, Video)
- Keyshia Cole Sued for Trashing Apt.; Landlord wants $150k Plus (Pics)
- Naturi Naughton Feels Tasha St. Patrick is Relatable, Not Unrealistic
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here