*Former boxing champ Mike Tyson is no longer allowed into New Zealand.
Officials at the country’s Immigration Service have reversed their decision to grant Tyson entry into the country, where he had hoped to stage his one-man show for charity next month.
The decision came after a benefactor at New Zealand’s Life Education Trust charity withdrew a letter of support for Tyson, reports WENN.
Associate Immigration Minister Kate Wilkinson explains, “Yesterday evening the Life Education Trust contacted my office and asked for that letter to be withdrawn, making it clear that the Trust no longer wants to have any involvement with Mr. Tyson’s visit.
“Given that the Trust is no longer supporting the event, on balance, I have made the decision to cancel his visa to enter New Zealand.”
Max Markson, the promoter for Tyson’s planned one-off performance in Auckland, says authorities should overlook his 1992 rape conviction.
“It would be a tragedy if Mike Tyson could not come to New Zealand to do his show,” Markson tells the New Zealand Herald. “We’ll see if we can get a visa issued again… He’s a vegan, he’s sober, he’s a great role model about how man can turn his life around and I’m sure there’s worse people walking the streets in New Zealand today than Mike Tyson will be in the 20 hours he is here, hopefully, with his wife, his children.”
- Fox Gives ‘Empire’ Fans Early Prep for Season 2 with 22-Minute Featurette (WATCH)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Marriage Inspires New Sitcom
- Tyler, the Creator Banned from UK Over 'Terrorist' Lyrics
- Shannon J. Miles Arrested As Suspect in Killing of Texas Deputy
- Nicole Murphy Addresses Nick Cannon Dating Rumors
- Cedric the Entertainer Hosts 3rd Annual Celebrity Golf Classic [Photos]
- Lorenzo Brown, Husband of Sister-2-Sister Publisher Jamie Brown, Dies of Cancer
- (The Black Hat) Serena Williams is a Winner, Not a Cover Girl
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'The Martian': 'Love Letter to Science' -- Matt Damon
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here