*Former boxing champ Mike Tyson is no longer allowed into New Zealand.
Officials at the country’s Immigration Service have reversed their decision to grant Tyson entry into the country, where he had hoped to stage his one-man show for charity next month.
The decision came after a benefactor at New Zealand’s Life Education Trust charity withdrew a letter of support for Tyson, reports WENN.
Associate Immigration Minister Kate Wilkinson explains, “Yesterday evening the Life Education Trust contacted my office and asked for that letter to be withdrawn, making it clear that the Trust no longer wants to have any involvement with Mr. Tyson’s visit.
“Given that the Trust is no longer supporting the event, on balance, I have made the decision to cancel his visa to enter New Zealand.”
Max Markson, the promoter for Tyson’s planned one-off performance in Auckland, says authorities should overlook his 1992 rape conviction.
“It would be a tragedy if Mike Tyson could not come to New Zealand to do his show,” Markson tells the New Zealand Herald. “We’ll see if we can get a visa issued again… He’s a vegan, he’s sober, he’s a great role model about how man can turn his life around and I’m sure there’s worse people walking the streets in New Zealand today than Mike Tyson will be in the 20 hours he is here, hopefully, with his wife, his children.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Anthony Anderson Inks Multi-Year Deal With NAACP Image Awards
- Business Owners Combine To Launch Innovative Approach to 'Buy Black' Movement
- 2 Chainz’s #IsThisYoThot? Lawsuit Thrown Out by Judge
- Daniel ‘Boobie’ Gibson Reacts to Keyshia Cole’s Engagement Tweet (Pic)
- Photo of Dog With Mouth Taped Shut on Facebook, Leads to Arrest of NC Woman
- Donovan McNabb Begins 18-Day Jail Sentence in Arizona
- If You Missed it, Here's the Soul Train Awards Babyface Tribute (WATCH)
- 50 Cent Still Hasn’t Paid $7M Judgment to Rick Ross’ Baby Mother
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel Fires Police Supt. Garry McCarthy
- Taraji P. Henson, Janelle Monae, Laila Ali Join Alicia Keys Charity as Ambassadors
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here