*“Middle of Nowhere” was a big hit, averaging $13,000 per screen over the weekend.
The drama, about a woman coping with her jailed husband, opened on six screens and raked in $78,000, the best of any film in theaters.
Compared to its larger counterparts, that’s pretty good. But not good enough. So media mogul, Oprah Winfrey is going to help it along.
She tweeted twice about the film this weekend.
“Saw the film ‘Middle of Nowhere.’ Powerful and Poetic. It opens this weekend in NY, LA, ATL, DC and Philly. So many women – a disproportionate number of them African American women – have to cope with a spouse in jail. This movie, ‘Middle of Nowhere,’ poignantly represents all the drama and feelings involved. I saw the film and was so moved by it. I think you will be too.”
Although the film didn’t have a huge budget, it made a huge impact in the film world.
Participant Media, the distributing company, is pushing for the film to get an Oscar nomination. The studio allowed the voting committee to check out the movie for free at a theater in New York and two in Los Angeles.
In the meantime, “The Paperboy” grossed $103,995 after opening last week in 11 theaters, while “The Master” raking in $823,000 in five weekends.
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Daniele Watts & Boyfriend Sentenced
- Shocking! How BGF Members Made $20K a Month in Jail
- Piano Man: Tyler Perry Buys Nat King Cole's Steinway for $150k
- Trump Dismisses Ramos, 2 Reporters Murdered in Virginia, Serena Williams New Boo | BHL's This Week
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here