*“Middle of Nowhere” was a big hit, averaging $13,000 per screen over the weekend.
The drama, about a woman coping with her jailed husband, opened on six screens and raked in $78,000, the best of any film in theaters.
Compared to its larger counterparts, that’s pretty good. But not good enough. So media mogul, Oprah Winfrey is going to help it along.
She tweeted twice about the film this weekend.
“Saw the film ‘Middle of Nowhere.’ Powerful and Poetic. It opens this weekend in NY, LA, ATL, DC and Philly. So many women – a disproportionate number of them African American women – have to cope with a spouse in jail. This movie, ‘Middle of Nowhere,’ poignantly represents all the drama and feelings involved. I saw the film and was so moved by it. I think you will be too.”
Although the film didn’t have a huge budget, it made a huge impact in the film world.
Participant Media, the distributing company, is pushing for the film to get an Oscar nomination. The studio allowed the voting committee to check out the movie for free at a theater in New York and two in Los Angeles.
In the meantime, “The Paperboy” grossed $103,995 after opening last week in 11 theaters, while “The Master” raking in $823,000 in five weekends.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Nuisance Abatement Law Seemingly Gives NYPD License to Evict Criminal and Non-Criminal Residents
- Toyota Motor Credit to Pay $21.9 Million for Discrimination
- THE (02-08-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Award Winning Pianist Kris Bowers to Perform at Benefit Concert.
- A Miserable Cam Newton Bolts Out of Press Conference (WATCH)
- After Super Bowl 50 Performance Beyonce Announces 'Formation Tour'
- Denver Broncos Beat Carolina Panthers 24-10 to Win Super Bowl
- PETA Approves Jada Pinkett Smith's Ivory Tusk Decor
- John Legend Goes ‘Underground’ With Activism For Upcoming WGN Series
- Antoine Fuqua to Direct ‘Training Day’ Series for CBS
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here