*“Middle of Nowhere” was a big hit, averaging $13,000 per screen over the weekend.
The drama, about a woman coping with her jailed husband, opened on six screens and raked in $78,000, the best of any film in theaters.
Compared to its larger counterparts, that’s pretty good. But not good enough. So media mogul, Oprah Winfrey is going to help it along.
She tweeted twice about the film this weekend.
“Saw the film ‘Middle of Nowhere.’ Powerful and Poetic. It opens this weekend in NY, LA, ATL, DC and Philly. So many women – a disproportionate number of them African American women – have to cope with a spouse in jail. This movie, ‘Middle of Nowhere,’ poignantly represents all the drama and feelings involved. I saw the film and was so moved by it. I think you will be too.”
Although the film didn’t have a huge budget, it made a huge impact in the film world.
Participant Media, the distributing company, is pushing for the film to get an Oscar nomination. The studio allowed the voting committee to check out the movie for free at a theater in New York and two in Los Angeles.
In the meantime, “The Paperboy” grossed $103,995 after opening last week in 11 theaters, while “The Master” raking in $823,000 in five weekends.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Apollo Nida Breaking Jailhouse Rules Because ... He's Famous
- Homeless Woman and Millionaire Brought Together by a (Wait for it) Dog
- Wiz Khalifa Sued for $2 Million by Former Label
- TV Host Tomi Lahren Rips Jesse Williams, BET for ‘Race Baiting’ & 'Perpetuating War on Cops' (Watch)
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill to Host Late-Night Talk Show for VH1
- Essence Festival to Honor Prince With NOLA-Themed Tribute Closing Night
- Regina King, Idris Elba, Ice Cube among Flood of Black Talent Invited Into Academy (See List)
- Woman's Impromptu National Anthem Stops DC Tourists in their Tracks (Watch)
- Jessica Williams to Exit ‘The Daily Show’ for Own Comedy Central Pilot
- Why EJ Johnson Decided Against Transitioning: ‘I Thought About it For Sure’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here