*“Middle of Nowhere” was a big hit, averaging $13,000 per screen over the weekend.
The drama, about a woman coping with her jailed husband, opened on six screens and raked in $78,000, the best of any film in theaters.
Compared to its larger counterparts, that’s pretty good. But not good enough. So media mogul, Oprah Winfrey is going to help it along.
She tweeted twice about the film this weekend.
“Saw the film ‘Middle of Nowhere.’ Powerful and Poetic. It opens this weekend in NY, LA, ATL, DC and Philly. So many women – a disproportionate number of them African American women – have to cope with a spouse in jail. This movie, ‘Middle of Nowhere,’ poignantly represents all the drama and feelings involved. I saw the film and was so moved by it. I think you will be too.”
Although the film didn’t have a huge budget, it made a huge impact in the film world.
Participant Media, the distributing company, is pushing for the film to get an Oscar nomination. The studio allowed the voting committee to check out the movie for free at a theater in New York and two in Los Angeles.
In the meantime, “The Paperboy” grossed $103,995 after opening last week in 11 theaters, while “The Master” raking in $823,000 in five weekends.
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here