*“Middle of Nowhere” was a big hit, averaging $13,000 per screen over the weekend.
The drama, about a woman coping with her jailed husband, opened on six screens and raked in $78,000, the best of any film in theaters.
Compared to its larger counterparts, that’s pretty good. But not good enough. So media mogul, Oprah Winfrey is going to help it along.
She tweeted twice about the film this weekend.
“Saw the film ‘Middle of Nowhere.’ Powerful and Poetic. It opens this weekend in NY, LA, ATL, DC and Philly. So many women – a disproportionate number of them African American women – have to cope with a spouse in jail. This movie, ‘Middle of Nowhere,’ poignantly represents all the drama and feelings involved. I saw the film and was so moved by it. I think you will be too.”
Although the film didn’t have a huge budget, it made a huge impact in the film world.
Participant Media, the distributing company, is pushing for the film to get an Oscar nomination. The studio allowed the voting committee to check out the movie for free at a theater in New York and two in Los Angeles.
In the meantime, “The Paperboy” grossed $103,995 after opening last week in 11 theaters, while “The Master” raking in $823,000 in five weekends.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Ben Carson Judges Ore. Shooting Victims: ‘I Wouldn’t Just Stand There and Let Him Shoot Me’
- After 3 Years, Stevie Wonder’s Divorce from Kai Millard Finalized
- Rosie O’Donnell’s Daughter: Mom Left ‘The View’ Over Rift with Whoopi
- 'Black-ish' Ep. 3, 'Dr. Hell No' Highlights Healthcare Fear Among Black Men
- Beyonce, Jay Z Renting $45 Million Mansion, Suing Clothing Retailer
- EUR Goes Behind the Scenes of 'Law & Order: SVU' (Watch)
- Stephon Marbury Blasts MJ for ‘Kids Getting Killed’ Over Air Jordans
- Toddler Chokes to Death After Mother Dies While Feeding Him (Video)
- Damon Dash & Curren$y End $3M Legal Battle with Settlement
- Michael Moore on Hollywood’s Lack of Diversity: ‘A Form of Apartheid’
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here