*R.B. Greaves, the R&B singer who went to No. 2 in 1969 with the infectious break-up song “Take a Letter, Maria,” died Sept. 27 in Los Angeles, reports Billboard.com. He was 68.
The singer’s son confirmed the news, according to the New York Times, but provided no other information on cause of death.
With a voice reminiscent of his uncle Sam Cooke, Greaves’ upbeat “Take a Letter, Maria” is sung from the perspective of a husband dictating a Dear John letter to his secretary, named Maria.
“So take a letter, Maria, address it to my wife/Say I won’t be coming home, gonna start a new life.” [Scroll down to listen.]
The song, which Greaves wrote, was released Oct. 18, 1969 and peaked just weeks later at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. Over the course of the next year he charted four more times, but only with new versions of other songs, the most successful being Burt Bacharach and Hal David’s “Always Something There to Remind Me,” which reached No. 27 on Jan. 24, 1970.
Greaves, born Nov. 28, 1943, spent time in Georgetown (then British Guayana) and a California Seminole reservation before pursuing a music career in England in the early ’60s. He led the group Sonny Childe and the TNT’s before going solo in the U.S., releasing “Take a Letter, Maria” on his album “R.B. Greaves.” He later moved to Los Angeles, where he worked in the technology industry following his days on the charts.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- THE (11-27-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- R&B Soul Jazz Singer Kenya Covers 'Little Drummer Boy' (Listen)
- T-Pain to Larry King on Why He's 'Done with Making Hits!’
- Erykah Badu on Azealia Banks Beef: 'We Can Spiral Out of Control With Style'
- ‘Creed’ Dir. Ryan Coogler Pays Tribute to His Father in 'Rocky' Spin-Off
- Black Fox News Co-Host Asked if She 'Makes Kool-Aid' (WATCH)
- President Obama's Statement Regarding Laquan McDonald Murder
- Dr. Rapp: Enjoy Patti's Pie, Avoid Fatti's Pounds
- Nick Canon Talks 'Chi-Raq' & Calls Nicki Minaj A THOT?!
- One Year Since His Death, Tamir Rice's Mother Still Seeking Justice
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here