*R.B. Greaves, the R&B singer who went to No. 2 in 1969 with the infectious break-up song “Take a Letter, Maria,” died Sept. 27 in Los Angeles, reports Billboard.com. He was 68.
The singer’s son confirmed the news, according to the New York Times, but provided no other information on cause of death.
With a voice reminiscent of his uncle Sam Cooke, Greaves’ upbeat “Take a Letter, Maria” is sung from the perspective of a husband dictating a Dear John letter to his secretary, named Maria.
“So take a letter, Maria, address it to my wife/Say I won’t be coming home, gonna start a new life.” [Scroll down to listen.]
The song, which Greaves wrote, was released Oct. 18, 1969 and peaked just weeks later at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. Over the course of the next year he charted four more times, but only with new versions of other songs, the most successful being Burt Bacharach and Hal David’s “Always Something There to Remind Me,” which reached No. 27 on Jan. 24, 1970.
Greaves, born Nov. 28, 1943, spent time in Georgetown (then British Guayana) and a California Seminole reservation before pursuing a music career in England in the early ’60s. He led the group Sonny Childe and the TNT’s before going solo in the U.S., releasing “Take a Letter, Maria” on his album “R.B. Greaves.” He later moved to Los Angeles, where he worked in the technology industry following his days on the charts.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Super Bowl 50: As Seen From Beyonce’s Instagram
- 'Wendy's Style Squad' Coming to BET
- Bills RB LeSean McCoy Scraps With 3 Off-Duty Cops Over Bubbly
- Flavor Flav to Face Vegas Judge in DUI Case
- TV One's 'News Now' Devotes Show to NAACP Image Awards
- Derek Fisher Fired As Head Coach of the Knicks
- Claudia Jordan on Jealous 'The Next :15' Cast & Calling Black Women 'Monkeys' [EUR Exclusive]
- Could Whoopi Goldberg’s ‘Slave’ Mentality Get Her Fired From ‘The View’?
- Angry Tweets Force Twitter CEO Urge Calmness, Not Much Will Change
- Secret Chapter 13 Filing Puts Tyga in Bankrupt Mode
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here