*Updating our earlier story that R&B singer Natina Reed from the group Blaque, was killed by a hit-and-run driver, Atlanta area police are now saying that’s not the case.
“As of right now, it does not appear that the driver has any fault in this event,” said Gwinnett County police spokesman Sgt. Rich Long, who added that it was the driver who contacted police about the accident.
The driver, who was not immediately identified, was not expected to be charged, Long said.
Initial unconfirmed reports on MTV.com and Vibe.com and in multiple Twitter postings said Reed, a 32-year-old protégé of the late TLC singer Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, was struck while crossing a street in a hit-and-run accident. She would have celebrated her 33rd birthday Sunday.
After the initial reports, Long told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he couldn’t confirm the identity of the victim at the time but said police received a call around 10:30 p.m. Friday that a woman had been struck by a red Honda Accord on Lawrenceville Highway (U.S. 29) near Hamilton Road, just north of Lilburn.
Long said investigators were still trying to determine why Reed was in the roadway and whether she was crossing or walking alongside it. The spokesman said CPR was performed at the scene and Reed was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead at 10:59 p.m.
Read/learn more at AJC.com.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Two Prince Estate Claimants Object to Required DNA Test
- Woman Arrested Outside Usher’s Studio Defying Restraining Order
- Jason Derulo Splits with 50 Cent’s Baby Mama Daphne Joy
- Baby Fat Shamed As 'Stuff Curry' Becomes Internet Favorite
- PA Judge Rules Bill Cosby Trial Can Proceed on All Charges
- Prince Fans Confused After Minnesota Declares ‘Beyonce Day’
- Bishop Eddie Long To Discuss Struggles During Sex Scandal on ‘Steve Harvey’
- Erica Campbell: 'I Didn't Takeover' Yolanda Adams' Radio Slot [EUR Exclusive]
- Mike Epps Shows it's Never Too Late: Graduates High School at 45
- Presenting the EURweb - Kashif & Friends, Black Music Month Celebration On-Line Contest!
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here