That’s our reaction to news that the newspaper in the heart of the Mormon universe has endorsed President Barack Obama over Mitt Romney, a staunch Mormon.
The Salt Lake Tribune’s endorsement, which is titled “Too Many Mitts,” praises Romney for his “singular role in rescuing Utah’s organization of the 2002 Olympics from a cesspool of scandal” and declares him Utah’s “favorite adopted son.”
But the newspaper’s editorial board says the Romney it has gushed over since his 2002 Olympic performance is not the same Romney running for president in 2012, reports NPR.org.
“As the party’s shape-shifting nominee,” the Tribune says, “Romney has raised the most frequently asked question of the campaign: ‘Who is this guy, really, and what in the world does he truly believe?’ ”
The endorsement praises Obama as “a competent leader who, against tough odds, has guided the country through catastrophe and set a course that, while rocky, is pointing toward a brighter day.”
For more than a century, the Tribune has been perceived as the left-leaning, non-Mormon — sometimes anti-Mormon — daily newspaper in a Democratic city in a Mormon-dominated state.
The Tribune has endorsed Republicans from time to time, but it also endorsed Obama in 2008.
The paper’s endorsement “undermines part of Romney’s narrative,” says David Magleby of the Center for the Study of Elections and Democracy at Brigham Young University, a school owned by the Mormon Church.
Read/learn more at NPR.org.
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here