The woman who produced the original “Steel Magnolias” is suing over the upcoming Lifetime TV remake of the film. She says she’s not getting the credit or the cash she deserves, reports TMZ.
Victoria L. White — executive producer of the 1989 film starring Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton, and Shirley MacLaine — filed suit (on Monday) against Sony Pictures and Lifetime Television … which is producing the new TV movie starring Queen Latifah, Jill Scott and Phylicia Rashad.
In the documents, White claims she has a “Television agreement” that entitles her to a co-producer or co-executive producer credit on any TV project based on her hit film.
Like EURweb on Facebook
According to the suit, White also says she’s entitled to some cash for the Lifetime remake — including a $15,000 fee, plus up to 3.75% of net profits from the movie.
White further alleges Sony is fully aware of her TV deal … because it gave her a co-producer credit and compensation the first time this happened. For those who don’t remember (as in all of us), there was already a 1992 CBS TV movie based on “Steel Magnolias.”
White is suing for compensation on the Lifetime remake — and she wants an injunction to stop the film from airing … unless she gets her on-screen credit.
“Steel Magnolias” premiers on Lifetime on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 9/8c.
Watch the promo/preview for “Steel magnolias”:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Lalah Hathaway & Kindred the Family Soul Headline ATL SLMF
- Timbaland Reschedules Detroit Charity Gig Following Champagne Tantrum
- 'Too Close' Singer Raphael Brown Wins Sole Custody Of Children
- Naked and Unarmed Black Teen Fatally Shot by Austin, TX Police
- ‘Memory Hackers’ (PBS): Not Just a ‘Men In Black’ Thing Anymore
- Video Stories About 'Good Cops' Show Up (Mysteriously) in My Inbox - Should I Be Concerned?
- Earl Ofari Hutchinson: It’s Still a Woman Thing with Hillary
- Blake Griffin Suspended 4 Games For Punching Clippers Trainer
- Hymn to Him: The Power of Congregational Singing!
- Patti LaBelle Joins ‘The Voice’ As Advisor to Christina Aguilera
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here