*“It’s always been easier for me to have a costume to hide behind, but here I had nothing,” says Tyler Perry, who not only sheds his Madea character to take on the lead in “Alex Cross,” but also leaves the directing to someone else and delivers lines written by someone other than himself – a rarity in his universe.
“It was challenging, a big frightening, but usually that’s when I’ll take things on,” the filmmaker said during interviews for the film over the weekend in Los Angeles. “If there’s a bit of fear, I’ll challenge myself to go as far as I can.”
In Perry’s “Alex Cross,” the police detective and psychologist faces serial killer Michael “The Butcher” Sullivan (Matthew Fox), an ex-operative who pre-determines every move made by the cops in their attempts to catch him. He eventually flaunts his skill in the face of Cross by killing his wife in front of him – on their anniversary.
And now for the elephant in the room…
Moviegoers have only ever seen Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross on the big screen. The veteran actor made his mark on the character in 1997’s “Kiss the Girls,” opposite Monica Potter, and 2001’s “Along Came a Spider” with Ashley Judd.
Below, Perry says he is well aware of those big shoes he had to fill.
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Was Prince Better than Hendrix? Only if He Crosses the Entertainment Divide
- Alexandra Shipp & the 'X-Men: Apocalypse’ Cast in the Big Apple
- Savion Glover's Feet Perform Magical Feats
- Keke Palmer Said to be Replacing Tamar Braxton on 'The Real?' (Report)
- First Look: Cynthia Bailey's New Luxury Luggage Line 'CARGO by Cynthia Bailey'
- Whitney Houston Estate in Court Fighting $11 Million Tax Bill
- 107-Year-Old Trades Dance Partner Pres. Obama for Dusty Baker (Watch)
- Police Test Bullets in T.I. Club Shooting to Determine Number of Guns Used
- Neil Brown Jr. Joins Issa Rae’s HBO Comedy ‘Insecure’
- Mariah Carey Checks Lee Daniels AND Wendy Williams for Saying She’s ‘Too Fragile’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here