Originally both the Romneys were to appear on the show together, after the Republican candidate made some unflattering comments about the show’s hosts.
But the meeting ended up being a spectacle of sorts.
At first it seemed a bit tense, but Whoopi morphed the conversation into totally awkward when she asked Ann Romney about her husband’s refusal to serve in the military for religious reasons.
“Now, I believe that your religion doesn’t allow you to go fight,” Goldberg said.
“No, that’s not correct,” Romney responded. “We have many, many members of our faith that are serving in armed services.”
“OK, um, well I say that because when I read about your husband, what I had read, and maybe you can correct this, is that the reason that he didn’t serve in Vietnam was because it was against the religion,” Goldberg asked.
“That’s what I read, I’m sorry.”
“No, that’s not correct,” Romney said. “He was serving his mission. My five sons have also served their mission.” Romney later added, “I sent them away as boys and they came back men.”
Whoopi hammered in hard on this topic; asking Romney what does she say to those mothers who are sending their sons and daughters off to war?
“So when you’re facing these mothers whose children have not come back, how will you explain to them that your sons haven’t gone? Or will you talk about the missions they’ve gone on?” Goldberg asked.
“I would say that it’s probably the hardest thing that a president and a first lady probably do,” she said. She added that while governor of Massachusetts, her husband “went to every funeral of a returning veteran…and it was the hardest thing [he] had to do.”
Oh and it didn’t end there.
Twitter-ers posted a slew of hate tweets after the interview with Ann. Conservative sites were totally ablaze with outrage over the intense moment on “The View.”
One writer called her a “friggin Marxist c-t,” and another a “racist.”
But her followers came to her side and defended their favorite controversial icon.
And of course Whoopi, in all of her coolness, took the comments in stride and kept positive spirits.
“I have been retweeting the ugly tweets I’ve been getting because I want All 2 see how far we have slipped down the chain, the racist name calling by folks claiming to represent a different party than mine, Claiming the Republican Party as kin, I want us all to see this and figure out if in fact this is ok. I don’t think so, and wondered if anyone else cared on this Tge anti-bullying day. Good night sleep in the light.”
Watch as Whoopi starts going in on Ann Romney at at approximately 4:45.
- Neechy Gospel: New Music Video From Jonathan McReynolds LIMP
- Birdman Finally Speaks About Fallout with Lil Wayne (WATCH)
- Presidential Candidates Stymied by Black Lives Matter Movement
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here