*Tyler Perry believes industry folk are underestimating the flexibility of his fan base when it comes to his roles outside of the Madea mothership.
“The great thing about my audience is that even though there’s an association with me with the character Madea, there’s also the association with ‘Good Deeds’ and ‘Why Did I Get Married?’ They’ve seen me in other roles before and have supported them to that degree,” Perry said during interviews for his new film “Alex Cross,” opening Friday.
Out of Perry’s 14 films, “Alex Cross” is the first in which he is not doubling as the director or writer. As reported earlier, he’s already in negotiations with author James Patterson to play the detective again for the upcoming adaptation of “Double Cross.”
At one point, wrote LA Times writer John Horn, “Alex Cross” was going to star Idris Elba in a story about the detective’s pursuit of a particularly merciless assassin. But movie business economics cost Elba the job:
“Idris is great, but I don’t know if he can open a movie,” Patterson said.
Clearly, the Atlanta-based mogul is looking to expand his fan base by taking on new and unexpected characters. He believes most of his OG crowd will support him as Alex Cross. However, he believes there is one segment of his audience that may not be ready to branch out along with him.
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- The NBA Demands Removal of Flag & No More Systematic Racism
- Deya Gets Direct with Single Men (WATCH)
- ‘Star Trek's’ George Takei: Clarence Thomas is ‘A Clown in Blackface’ (WATCH)
- Kendrick Lamar Responds to Geraldo Rivera's Crazy Criticism
- BET Awards Fashion on Fleek (Watch)
- Shocking Radiation Experiments on Black Children Left Holes in Head (Watch)
- Lupita Nyong’o Joins the Fight Against Elephant Poaching
- Tiger Woods in Denial Mode About Affair with Fellow Golfer’s Ex-Wife
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here