*Wyclef Jean’s Haiti charity is to close following allegations of financial mismanagement.
The Fugees star co-founded Yele Haiti in 2004 to assist in the wake of Hurricane Jeanne, which devastated his native island. The organization was also involved in aid efforts following the Haiti earthquake in 2010.
However, the charity was investigated by the New York attorney general and reportedly went out of business last month, according to the New York Times.
The report alleges that a forensic audit of the organization from 2005-2009 found mismanagement of expenses including $24,000, which was spent on chauffeur services for Jean, and $30,000 on a private jet to fly actress Lindsay Lohan from New Jersey to Chicago for a benefit event that raised $66,000.
A statement from Jean’s attorney Avi Schick, posted on Jean’s Facebook.com page, reads: “Wyclef Jean helped pay for the independent audit of Yele because of his commitment to both the organization and the people of Haiti, and while most of its findings do not in any way relate to him he is nevertheless committed to ensuring that things are made right.”
Jean’s spokesperson Melanie A. Bonvicino adds: “At present my client Wyclef Jean and his legal team are working assiduously to resolve any pending issues with respect to Yele prior to its closing, as Mr. Jean continues his tireless commitment to his ‘beloved’ country by remaining steadfast in his efforts to encourage the global community to join him in supporting ongoing relief efforts in Haiti.”
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Las Vegas Prince Tribute Show A Hit Since Singer's Passing
- We Remember: Celebrity Photographer Bill Jones Dies at 83
- Texas Woman Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery with British Accent (WATCH)
- Kanye West Unveils Mind Blowing, Voyeuristic 'Famous' Video (WATCH)
- Look! New Poster for 'When the Bough Breaks' Starring Morris Chestnut & Regina Hall
- Octavia Spencer on Why NASA Movie About Black Women is Overdue
- Angela Bassett Launches ‘Darker Skin Tones’ Skincare Line
- Beyonce Drops ‘Sorry’ Video, Teen Gets into 'Formation' for Prom (Watch)
- Drake Getting Sued By Producer Detail Over Broken Jaw Assault
- Watch: Hundreds Gather to Support Wealthy Black Family Victimized by 'Hate Crime'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here