*Wyclef Jean’s Haiti charity is to close following allegations of financial mismanagement.
The Fugees star co-founded Yele Haiti in 2004 to assist in the wake of Hurricane Jeanne, which devastated his native island. The organization was also involved in aid efforts following the Haiti earthquake in 2010.
However, the charity was investigated by the New York attorney general and reportedly went out of business last month, according to the New York Times.
The report alleges that a forensic audit of the organization from 2005-2009 found mismanagement of expenses including $24,000, which was spent on chauffeur services for Jean, and $30,000 on a private jet to fly actress Lindsay Lohan from New Jersey to Chicago for a benefit event that raised $66,000.
A statement from Jean’s attorney Avi Schick, posted on Jean’s Facebook.com page, reads: “Wyclef Jean helped pay for the independent audit of Yele because of his commitment to both the organization and the people of Haiti, and while most of its findings do not in any way relate to him he is nevertheless committed to ensuring that things are made right.”
Jean’s spokesperson Melanie A. Bonvicino adds: “At present my client Wyclef Jean and his legal team are working assiduously to resolve any pending issues with respect to Yele prior to its closing, as Mr. Jean continues his tireless commitment to his ‘beloved’ country by remaining steadfast in his efforts to encourage the global community to join him in supporting ongoing relief efforts in Haiti.”
- Kimye Win Over $400K Settlement Against YouTube Co-Founder
- VH1 Orders Stevie J, Joseline Spin-Off; Season 2 of K. Michelle Confirmed
- Emayatzy Corinealdi Talks Role in New Amazon Series ‘Hand of God’
- Amended Lawsuit Mentions ‘White Girl’ Present When Bobbi Kristina Was Found Unconscious
- Tom Joyner: Hurricane Katrina, A Personal Memoir
- Trump Called Miley Cyrus to Say He ‘Loved’ Her Twerk-Filled VMA Performance
- Al Sharpton Trying to Put Positive Spin on MSNBC Timeslot Demotion
- Misty Copeland Dishes on Broadway Debut After Just Six Rehearsals (Video)
- TN Councilman Threatens to Kill ‘Black N****r’ in 911 Call; Swears He’s Not Racist (Listen)
- Tamar Braxton: ‘Ariana Grande Can Sing Her Face Off,’ But She Ain’t No Mariah
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here