*Los Angeles, Calif. — The African American Firefighter Museum celebrated its 15th Anniversary on Saturday with a gala fundraiser at the City Club on Bunker Hill.
Honorees included Retired Fire Chief Douglas L. Barry, the first African American fire chief to serve the citizens of the city of Los Angeles; Fire Chief Daryl Osby, current fire chief serving the County of Los Angeles and first to serve in his post; Bob L. Blake, businessman, philanthropist and dedicated supporter; and Councilwoman Jan Perry who been there from the very beginning.
The Historic Figure Award was bestowed posthumously to Deputy Fire Chief Paul Orduna (1927-2012).
“We are grateful to these individuals for their long-time support of our mission to collect, conserve and share the heritage of pioneering African Americans in the fire service,” said Museum president Captain Brent F. Burton.
Pat Prescott, radio personality 94.7 The Wave served as Mistress of Ceremonies. Guests dined and danced to music performed by “DW3.”
“The African American Firefighter Museum has been completely volunteer driven since opening its doors on December 13, 1997,” said Burton. “The dedication of this historic landmark also served as the acknowledgement of what was believed to be the city’s first 100 years of service by African American Firefighters (1897-1997). Today, we are proud to celebrate the Museum’s 15th anniversary and 115 years of service.”
The African American Firefighter Museum is located at 1401 South Central Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90021.
For more information, visit www.AAFFMuseum.org.
- Bill Cosby Set to Be Deposed by Sept. 30 in Judy Huth Case
- Late Golf Great Charlie Sifford's Family Stole $1 Million From Him
- Former NBA All Star Vin Baker Training for Starbucks Manager Spot
- The Griswolds Are Back On 'Vacation' (Watch)
- The Second Deadly Assault on Sandra Bland
- Troubling: Two Officers Corroborated Killer Cop's False Account of DuBose Killing
- Audio Interview: Basketball and Art Unite to Inspire Youth Life Skills (Listen)
- Your MISSION: Laser Tag
- Kim Kimble, Celebrity Hairstylist Panelists at Natural Hair & Lifestyle Expo~Aug 1&2@The Reef
- THE (07-30-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here