The singer describes the process of healing and mending the broken bond she shares with Craig Cook.
“The process started when my [paternal] grandmother became ill,” she said. “You realize what’s important when you see a person you love dearly and you’re not going to have them for long. It was important to her. And I saw [my father’s] love for her. I realized he wasn’t an evil person so I said, ‘Can we start from this point on? Can we be friends? I can start to understand you and you can start to understand me.'”
She was only 2-years-old when Alicia’s father abandoned his family, forcing her mother, Teresa, to raise their child alone.
Letting go of that past was never easy for the now married mother, but she’s learned the value of forgiving and healing.
“I would say in the process of growing up, you realize you’ve been holding on to anger,” she said. “I was angry then and am sure I had the right to be angry, but if you hold on to all this anger the only person you’re hurting is you.”
Egypt, Alicia and Swizz Beatz’s two-year-old son, has somehow acted as a catalyst to redeveloping their relationship as father and daughter.
“I think something happens when you become a grandparent, says the singer about her dad. “You have a different mind-set. There’s less pressure on the relationship, so maybe it’s closer. He was with Egypt last week and he loved it.”
Meanwhile, Alicia will be on tour (in the U.K.) in May for the first time since giving birth.
Below is the itinerary:
Saturday 18th May, Liverpool, Echo Arena
Sunday 19th May, Newcastle, Metro Radio Arena
Friday 24th May, Manchester, Manchester Arena
Saturday 25th May, Birmingham, NIA Arena
Tuesday 28th May, Nottingham, Nottingham Capital FM Arena
Thursday 30th May, London, The O2
- Terrence Howard Tweets He's Still Attached to 3rd Wife Mira Pak
- 9-Yr-Old Ferguson Girl, Killed as She Did Homework, Remembered on Sunday
- Richard Pryor Biopic Officially Adds Oprah Winfrey and Eddie Murphy
- Kobe and Shaq Squash Years Long Beef on Podcast (LISTEN)
- ‘Compton’ Three-Peats at No. 1; ‘War Room’ Captures Faith-Based Crowd With $11 Mil Debut
- THE (08-31-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kanye to Run for President, Revisits Taylor Swift Hijack (WATCH)
- Snoop Dogg Reinterpreted As European Noblemen [LOOK!]
- Watch: Today You Wouldn't Recognize the Little Boy from 'Katrina' (Hint: He's Now a Grown ... Woman!)
- The Soul of the U.S. Open: Serena Williams' Quest; Tournament Preview
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here