The singer describes the process of healing and mending the broken bond she shares with Craig Cook.
“The process started when my [paternal] grandmother became ill,” she said. “You realize what’s important when you see a person you love dearly and you’re not going to have them for long. It was important to her. And I saw [my father’s] love for her. I realized he wasn’t an evil person so I said, ‘Can we start from this point on? Can we be friends? I can start to understand you and you can start to understand me.'”
She was only 2-years-old when Alicia’s father abandoned his family, forcing her mother, Teresa, to raise their child alone.
Letting go of that past was never easy for the now married mother, but she’s learned the value of forgiving and healing.
“I would say in the process of growing up, you realize you’ve been holding on to anger,” she said. “I was angry then and am sure I had the right to be angry, but if you hold on to all this anger the only person you’re hurting is you.”
Egypt, Alicia and Swizz Beatz’s two-year-old son, has somehow acted as a catalyst to redeveloping their relationship as father and daughter.
“I think something happens when you become a grandparent, says the singer about her dad. “You have a different mind-set. There’s less pressure on the relationship, so maybe it’s closer. He was with Egypt last week and he loved it.”
Meanwhile, Alicia will be on tour (in the U.K.) in May for the first time since giving birth.
Below is the itinerary:
Saturday 18th May, Liverpool, Echo Arena
Sunday 19th May, Newcastle, Metro Radio Arena
Friday 24th May, Manchester, Manchester Arena
Saturday 25th May, Birmingham, NIA Arena
Tuesday 28th May, Nottingham, Nottingham Capital FM Arena
Thursday 30th May, London, The O2
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Mental Health Therapist Teaches Victims to Forgive
- THE (05-04-16) EURweb Free-4-All Page
- Eddie Murphy and Girlfriend Paige Butcher Welcome Baby Girl
- Khloé Kardashian Reportedly Boots Ex’s Daddy from his Home
- Michael Strahan Tells 'Extra' He's Not Listening to Rumors About Him
- Now That Beyonce is Done Eating from the White Man’s Hand, She’s Finally Ready to Be A Negro (How Convenient)
- Monica Forgives Shannon, Philly Pushers Approve of Steph Curry
- John McCain’s Son Rips Old Navy’s Racist Trolls With Wife Pics
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shares Personal Memories of Tupac’s Mom, Afeni Shakur
- Dwyane Wade Emotional After Learning He Was Prince’s Favorite Player
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here