*The all-new Big Apple Circus – the one-ring phenomenon — is celebrating its 34th season production with a spectacular show at Lincoln Center’s Damrosch Park now through Sunday, January 13, 2013.
This year’s theme is LEGENDARIUM where big tent attendees will experience evocative thrills from shows of yesteryear highlighted by first-hand views of beauties, daredevils and clowns from another era. The nostalgic show is a throwback to a place in time when circus traditions were created that had villagers in awe of the dare devil acts including brazen mid-air flips and the daring men on the trapeze.
The electrifying acts include a captivating contortionist; an agile, adept acrobat and her strapping suitors; a jaw-dropping wire act of sure-footed strength and stability; dizzying delights of a daring inventor in his tumbling, twirling hoop; stunning, soaring beauty of a pair on aerial straps; and a woman held aloft by hanging silks.
One of the best features of this show is that no seat is more than 50 feet from the globes best of the best circus performers. LEGENDARIUM will take you back to a place in time when circus traditions were born that titillated villager – the likes of the courageous mid-air flips and catches of a man on the trapeze; a captivating contortionist whose flexibility is as impressive as her steadfast poise; an agile, adept acrobat and her strapping suitors; a swaying wire act of sure-footed strength and stability; the dizzying delights of a daring inventor in his tumbling, twirling hoop; the stunning, soaring beauty of a pair on aerial straps and a woman held aloft by hanging silks; a jaw-dropping juggling tango team performing to passionate rhythms; bicyclists whose spinning wheels turn smooth and speedy stunts; majestic horses with graceful gaits and playful pups with teasing tricks; and lastly, bumbling clowns who bring the spirit of timeless comedy. (Photos courtesy The Big Apple Circus)
Welcome to LEGENDARIUM where performers from around the world create joyful memories at the Big Apple Circus under the superb artistic direction of Guillaume Dufresnoy for the 2012–13 season show:
– From the US, the Acrobuffos, the husband-and-wife clown team, bring gales of laughter to the Big Apple Circus with their slapstick comedy!
– From Bulgaria, Andrey Mantchev takes to the skies in a solo trapeze act of mid-air flips and jaw-dropping catches!
– From China, the all-female Dalian Acrobatic Troupe performs perilous poses of superior synchronization on bicycles!
– From Canada, Daniel Cyr spirals and spins around the ring in a steel hoop of his own invention!
– From Russia, breathtaking duo Desire of Flight (Valeriy Sychev and Malvina Abakarova) defies gravity in soaring stunts on aerial straps!
– From Russia, Katerina is a lithe vision of grace wrapped and whirling in aerial silks!
– From Argentina, Elayne Kramer astounds with a backbone as flexible as an archer’s bow!
– From France and the Netherlands, Emily and Menno van Dyke combine the dramatic passion of tango with rhythmic juggling for a dance of flawless coordination!
– From the US, Jenny Vidbel exudes pure pride with her handsome horses, prancing ponies, and perky pups!
– From the US, John Kennedy Kane is a debonair ringmaster guiding you through the world of the circus!
– From Hungary, the Quinterion Troupe demonstrates unparalleled power as sculpted men flip, throw, and catch a fearless maiden!
– From China, Zhang Fan faces the ultimate test of balance, performing stunts of sheer strength on a swaying slack wire!
Kudos to Big Apple Circus director West Hyler who is making his directing début along with assistant director Matt Williams and have received favorable reviews for this perfect production for people of all ages. The dynamic duo is assisted by a dream creative team consisting of John Lee Beatty (set designer); Mirena Rada (costume designer); Tony Award-winner Howell Binkley (lighting designer); five-time winner of the MAC Award for Technical Direction, JP Perreaux (sound designer); and the celebrated and always magnificent Big Apple Circus Band under the awesome musical direction of maestro Rob Slowik.
Performances of LEGENDARIUM will run for 134 shows through Sunday, January 13, 2013 under the Big Top at Damrosch Park in Lincoln Center (62nd Street between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues), the second stop on the Big Apple Circus’s tour, following its world premiere engagement at Dulles Town Center, VA. Tickets for LEGENDARIUM start at $25 and are available at www.bigapplecircus.org or by calling (888) 541-3750. The Circus Box Office located in front of the Big Top. There is no service charge for tickets purchased at the box office. Hours of operation: Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM to 8 PM, and Sunday through Monday from 10 AM to 6 PM. For more ticket information, group sales, inquiries about wheelchair–accessible seating or for additional information please call the Ticket Info Line at (800) 922-3772. The Big Top is heated in cold weather and air–conditioned in warm, for all–season comfort! The show runs for 2 hours, including a 15 minute intermission.
About The Big Apple Circus
For 35 years the Big Apple Circus, New York’s original one-ring circus, has been delighting audiences of all ages under its Big Top by presenting the finest in live family entertainment featuring world-class circus artistry. Experience the instant connection between audience and artist as your family sits less than 50 feet from the ring. The Big Apple Circus is a not-for-profit performing arts and outreach institution committed to invigorating the communities we serve with the joy and wonder of classical circus. Tax-deductible contributions made by corporations, foundations and individuals enable the Big Apple Circus to bring its special magic to diverse audiences through its outreach programs — Clown Care[SM], Vaudeville Caravan[SM], Circus After School[SM], Circus For All! and Circus of the Senses — as well as its critically acclaimed performances.
Audrey J. Bernard is an established chronicler of Black society and Urban happenings based in the New York City area.